Packing My Pet Duck, Steven

Hugh G.

Soon I will be heading to Germany for a 10 month exchange program. As I embark on this adventure, I have contemplated what to bring and what not to bring. I have a collection of stuff, some useful, some useless, but what to bring? I sprawled across my house gathering items that I may want, or could use, or just have to have since there are so perfectly practical. Before I knew it, I had a conglomerate of bits, bobs, and things piled high on my bed adjacent to my empty suitcase. All that was left was to take all of my goodies and pack them away like sardines until I am able to pop them out in Germany. Easy right? 

Wrong!

After masterfully shoving, squishing, and shuffling my belongings for quite a while, I eventually was able to zip up my suitcase with just the help of my knee and some tugging. A success in my book, until, I realized I had forgotten one of my most important items, my camera! How else am I supposed to capture all of the memories I make while abroad? Oh, and I can’t forget my oh-so-important waffle maker! What if they don’t have waffle makers in Germany? How will I make a perfectly curated breakfast? Then one more item popped into my mind, how could I ever fathom spending a year away from home and not bringing my best pal, Steven, my pet duck? I realized I had all of these crucial items that I hadn’t packed yet, and I was bamboozled on what equally as important items to take out of my bag to make room. I decided it was best to hit the internet for suggestions.

“Some airlines allow birds in the cabin, provided their kennel will fit under the seat in front of you” (Trip Savvy) 

Brilliant! I would be able to put Steven next to me, finally giving him, a flightless bird, the opportunity to soar! I could probably slip my waffle maker into his kennel, and no one would know the difference. As I was doing my research, I also was curious to see how other CBYX participants were transporting their waterfowl. I was peaking through my trusty program manual, and, well, I don’t mean to break confidentiality, but it said that I couldnt bring my feathered friend! I was in awe; how could my astute self miss such a valuable piece of information? I had to take a step back and process the riveting information. What does it mean for me? What does it mean for Steven? But eventually, I came to a conclusion.

After contemplation, I realized that sometimes items that seem essential are actually okay to part with. I realized Steven couldnt come with me, but I knew that he would equally enjoy frolicking in the meadows at home. I realized that a waffle maker might not be the best use of space and weight and that Germany will provide me with many new breakfast choices to brighten my mornings. I still elected to take my camera, though, even though it is not essential, it is an item worth bringing. After I finally finished packing, I realized that the hardest part about packing was not the action of putting things in a suitcase but rather leaving familiar items at home to make room for new and novel experiences I encounter along my trip.

Quack with you later, 

Hugh