Exchanging Cultures, Enriching Lives

High School USA

Lilli Paetzold, 17, has lived a life of independence with strict educational structure in Dresden, Germany. Back home, she always had the ability to hop on a bus or train and travel with friends the two hours to Berlin or even explore other parts of Europe without parental supervision. Over the past school year, her life has changed forever from the moment she boarded a plane and traveled to the United States for the first time to attend Southport High School.

Paetzold is the eighth student to stay with her host family, Steve and Linda Koerner. They have been hosting students as a part of the Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) since 2004 and it all began as a suggestion from their daughter.

Students in the CIEE program have to be between 14 and 18-years old and the Koerners thought this would work well with their own high school-age children. “We thought it would be an enriching experience for our children and family,” Linda said. Each new student is welcomed as one of her children and their home has welcomed cultures from Germany, Czech Republic, Jordan and will soon add Russia and Italy to that list.

Read the full story here.