The Door Destroyer

Hugh G.

Sometimes important lessons are communicated orally, sometimes they might involve an activity or game, and as I came to find out, sometimes they smack you right in the face. I have spent the last four weeks at language camp here in Germany learning all of the important things one should know for an exchange. Things like the German language, knowing program rules, and learning about culture shock. The teamers at camp prepared many seminars and activities to really allow this information on preparedness to sink in, with the hope that it would click. For some people, it clicked right away. For others, it was still much to process. For me, my epiphany came rather unexpectedly.

One night, after a full day of activities, I was walking through the halls of the Schloss (castle) that languange camp took place in. I had just finished brushing my teeth and was in my pajamas when I realized that I had to tell my friend on the other side of the Schloss something of uber importance. I knew that room checks were approaching soon, so I began to make my way to my friend’s room. I was walking with haste and confidence; I had been here for over two weeks already, and I knew where everything was. But as I was walking into the dimly lit hallway, it hit me. Literally! My face crashed into the cold surface of the glass door in front of me, sending cracks throughout the door. I fell backward, my glasses now crooked on my face, me sitting barefoot and frazzled on the floor. I had forgotten what I even needed to tell my friend. I had been stopped dead in my tracks. But this is where my epiphany struck.

I realized that I had literally just walked into the perfect analogy for culture shock. I had felt confident walking through the halls of the Schloss, and I thought I had it all figured out. Just as one might think they have a grasp on a culture. But if you approach a culture too fast or without vigilance. Wham! There is a glass door right in front of your face. While I still feel bad for breaking a door, and I still am referred to by some as “der Türzerstörer,” I also cherish the lesson it taught me, though I wouldn't suggest trying it out at home.

Talk with you later, 

Hugh