How to Teach in India

CIEE TEFL

I want to teach in India. What do I need to know?

Every country and culture has something that sets it apart from the rest of the world. For India, the second most populous country in the world, that unique trait might just be its sheer diversity. Boasting 22 official languages (a small portion of the 1,652 mother tongues actually spoken there), a geography ranging from breathtaking mountain ranges to arid deserts to tropical rainforests, one of the fastest-growing economies on the globe, and a population defined by its varied ethnicities, religions, and cultures, India is a phenomenon unto itself.

One unifying feature is that India is a nation undergoing tremendous change—culturally, politically, and economically. A year in India will challenge you to find your own place amongst a whirlwind of vibrant (and spicy) cuisine, incredible geographical sights, crowded cities with unique cultures of their own, train rides, monsoons, and a population of learners eager to develop their language skills.

In India, English has a long history of being associated with the upper classes affiliated with British Colonialists, and is currently the language of official purposes and business. However, as more Indian students have looked to study in English-speaking universities, gained access to the English-dominated Internet, and adapted to living in a country struggling to find its place as a global power, the need for English language instruction in all areas—business, conversation, academic—has exploded.

What to expect

Many students will come to the EFL classroom with practical expectations; knowing English will help them get a job or attend university abroad. Your role as an instructor will also vary greatly based on the school—a public setting will most likely bring large classes, a strict textbook policy, and language exam preparation. However, many public schools do not have the funds to hire native-speaking English teachers from overseas, so most positions are found in the private sector. You must also be aware of the influence of social class—the more affluent the pupils’ families are, the more resources a school is likely to have. It will be up to you, the English instructor, to confront the continuing notion that English is a language for the elite and upper classes.

Looking for a warm weather? Don’t expect it everywhere, especially if you’re applying to jobs in the Northern provinces, where the high elevation will bring cold temperatures. Do expect a monsoon season in most areas of the country, however, particularly in the Southwest.

Many EFL positions in India are volunteering only. However, if there is reimbursement, your pay will vary widely depending on your school and location; although most paid positions can offer moderate to high-paying salaries. The low cost of living will likely enable you to get by comfortably. Airfare is rarely included, but accommodations may be provided or covered depending on a school’s resources.

How to get there

If you have a Bachelor’s degree already, your first step is to get TEFL certified. The market for paid positions will be competitive, and a school hiring from abroad will expect candidates to be prepared and qualified for the position. That’s where CIEE TEFL comes in! Our certification classes require 130 hours of online coursework and 20 hours of practice teaching with nonnative speakers of English.

There is no peak hiring season in India, but expect an application timeline to last one to four months. Academic years typically last from June to March in elementary and high schools, while university calendars mainly begin in July and end in May.

You can apply independently to positions in India or find a program that best fits your needs. Please see below for more programs and job resources in India:

Himalayan Education Lifeline Programme (volunteering only): Short-term placements in rural villages located throughout the Himalayas.

The British School, New Dehli: Private school placements from Kindergarten through Grade 12.

Daly College: Private school placements located in Indore.

Teach for India: Offers a two-year fellowship program for Indian citizens or foreign citizens of Indian heritage or origin.