Employer Q & A: The Teaching and Work Environment for the Private Language Academy Position in Chile

CIEE TEFL

Curious about what it's really like to teach abroad? This Q&A dives deep into the day-to-day experience! We'll explore the teaching environment, including classroom dynamics, school culture, and collaboration with colleagues for the position in Chile. Get ready to hear firsthand insights that go beyond the job description.

Will I need to create curriculum and bring class materials? 

The employer has their own curriculum that each teacher will receive upon teaching the corresponding course. All training is provided, and teachers have a lot of freedom to customize the curriculum to suit their teaching styles and their students' learning goals. 

What is the typical class size and age of the students I‘ll be teaching? 

The majority of the classes are one-on-one. The employer also offers small group classes of up to four students. Full-time while working for this employer is 18-27 in-class hours. The classes are generally 3 hours per week, divided into 2 or 3 sessions, so 6-9 courses would be a normal workload. 

Is there any support provided for new teachers? 

Yes! The employer is always available to help teachers with their teaching. During their biannual evaluations, they always give suggestions so that teachers can be the best that they can be. In addition, they offer weekly Spanish classes, and several workshops throughout the year. 

Do I need to learn how to speak Spanish to be successful at this job? 

While speaking Spanish isn’t a requirement, the employer has found that those who either speak Spanish at a decent level or who are dedicated to learning Spanish while in Chile tend to have deeper and more meaningful experiences as they’re able to connect with the Chileans and participate more actively in the local culture. Many of their A1 and A2 students also request teachers who have at least an intermediate level of Spanish, so these teachers may have more opportunities to teach.

Will I have any paid time off built into my contract? 

The employer observes all Chilean national holidays, so even the office staff gets out on those days. With full-time being 18-27 class hours, teachers have plenty of time to get out, explore the city, and travel. The employer also has a flexible vacation policy so that teachers can get out and enjoy the country while they’re here.   

Interested in learning more? Read more about additional personal considerations to think about when working with this employer. 
Got questions? Send us an email at tefl@ciee.org. 😊