CIEE TEFL Alumni Spotlight: Madi Brundage

CIEE TEFL

Hi! My name is Madi, I studied marketing at Texas State University. Quarantining during covid gave me the time to reflect on my career and decide to do something more meaningful and fulfilling. I have been teaching elementary students ever since! I completed my TEFL with CIEE in 2022 to prepare for my year abroad in Thailand. I chose to move abroad after disagreeing with the choices of my school in Texas (and a really bad breakup LOL). 

1. What inspired you to get TEFL certified and teach abroad?

I had always dreamed of moving out of the country since I studied abroad in Spain as a college student. After feeling burnt out from charter schools in Texas and being newly single, I decided this was my chance to follow my dreams!

2. What have you found most fulfilling about teaching English? 

My favorite part about teaching english was the relationships I built with my students. I worked in northern Thailand in the small city of Kalasin. 95% of my students had very limited english. Despite our language barrier, I learned so much about my students and still keep up with some of them today via their parents' phone! 

3. What kinds of jobs have you held (or are you considering) after your CIEE program? How do you think your CIEE experience shaped your career?

I originally planned to teach back in Texas this fall, but my plans have recently gotten a bit more exciting! I worked very closely with CIEE and their Thai partner company while working as the social media ambassador. Thanks to those connections, I have been offered to work as the international coordinator to support the new teachers coming to teach in Thailand! I am so excited to be back in Bangkok for the summer! 

4. What was the biggest challenge you faced as an EFL teacher? How did you overcome that challenge?

My biggest challenge was, as expected, the language barrier. I overcame that through using realia and acting out english vocabulary while teaching. Songs also helped my little ones stay engaged!

5. What was the most important thing you learned in your CIEE TEFL course or while you were teaching abroad?

I think my most important lesson through my experience teaching abroad was honestly that I was made to do this for the rest of my life. I am at my happiest when I am learning a new culture while teaching students around the world. I am very excited to continue my career as an international teacher in Asia, Spain, and maybe even Australia! I am very grateful to CIEE for giving me the tools and confidence to move out of the United States longterm.

6. What advice would you offer to future CIEE TEFL and Teach Abroad participants?

Firstly, congratulations on the experience of a lifetime! My advice is to simply have an open mind and give everything to your students. Be the best teacher you can be for them, and study the native language of the country before you arrive! If you have the right priorities as a teacher and commit to immersing yourself in the culture, I guarantee you will have a fulfilling experience.

7. What do you like to do in your free time? What are your hobbies?

My favorite hobby is rock climbing, I spent most of vacation days scaling up rocks on the beaches of Thailand! It was the best and I cant wait to be back :)

Thanks Madi for sharing your experience as a CIEE TEFL student and teacher!

Want to be featured in the 'CIEE TEFL & Teach Abroad Alumni Connections' newsletter? Please complete the information on this form: CIEE TEFL & Teach Abroad Alumni Connections Form