Three Impressive Buildings to Visit

Diamond W.

The architecture of Madrid is what makes it Madrid. It possesses an elegance, sophistication, and grandeur that makes it such an iconic place to visit. If you only have a short amount of time to visit this city, here are three beautiful buildings that you must visit. 

Museo Geominero

This museum is in the peaceful Chamberí neighborhood. There are displays cases of fossils, gems, and different minerals from Spain and its former colonies.  The entryway into the museums is sleek and clean, covered in grey, pristine marble. Upstairs in the main showroom, there lays an astounding number of cases illuminated by natural light peeking through a dazzling glass mosaic above. Decorating the floor is a mixture of cases displaying fossils and gems with gorgeous red velvet sofas in between. 

Geology museum
Museo Naval

Besides educating the public on the awesome history of Spain's naval power, this building boasts a gorgeous display room with naval artifacts. This display room is very different from other parts of the museum because the natural light passing through the ceiling gives the appearance of kaleidoscope glass, very similar to the ceiling in Museo de Geominero. Aside from this room, the entrance into the museum is also impressive because it’s shaped like a boat. 

Naval museum

Cibeles Palacio

Despite no longer being a palace, Cibeles still echoes the grandiosity of one, which it deserves. It might be the most iconic building in Madrid. There is a gigantic fountain in front of the building. On the outside, there is a white facade in neoplastersque style. 

Inside Cibeles

On the inside, visitors are greeted by both security, and a staircase that leads to the second floor of the exhibits. From the staircase, visitors can take in a 360 view of the four floors of grandeur. Each floor is dedicated to a different exhibit, some permanent, some not. The building also has a cafe, a rooftop restaurant, and rooftop look out.  

In Person is Better

Although I did my very best to describe these amazing buildings, words are trivial compared to the in person experience. So, if you are ever in Madrid, please stop by these buildings. I should also add that it is free to enter all of them!