The Third Coolest Neighborhood to Visit

Diamond W.

The Award 

Timeout magazine released their list of the most popular and famous neighborhoods for the year 2023. To my and many Spaniards' surprise, Carabanchel was listed as the third coolest neighborhood in the world. Having taught in this neighborhood for almost two years, I was very confused as to why this neighborhood merited this title. But then I pondered and recognized that I never gave the neighborhood where I worked a chance. I never really explored it to see what else there was to offer. Thus, I decided one day to visit some of the places that were mentioned in the article. 

Places to Dine 

Breakfast was at Merinas, a cute, quaint, warmly colored cafe tucked away in the residential part of Carabanchel. The breakfast menu wasn’t anything impressive, but I found pleasure in the simplicity of it. The cafe also had a comedic display of different dog portraits on their wall. The big, bright windows allowed for an immense amount of natural light that gave the entire restaurant a pleasantness. They also had an outside terrace. 

Breakfast

One thing Spaniard's love is a place with a good terraza. The light breakfast that of granola, fruit, and yogurt alongside a cafe con leche, wasn’t spectacular, but was simple and pleasant.
      For an afternoon snack, I stopped by La Grifería. Because it was early in the afternoon to enjoy a cerveza, the place was almost empty. As someone who is completely ignorant of what constitutes a good beer, cider, or wine, I typically gravitate towards sweeter drinks. They had a chalkboard menu of different beers, IPAs, and wines. The bartenders were kind enough to let me sample a few until I settled on one that wasn’t too strong in alcohol content, but just the right amount of sweet. 

Beer and food

Per typical Spanish style, my drink was accompanied by a plate of tapas which included a tortilla de Patata and some jamón ibérico with bread. I tend to eat light in general, so this was enough to fill me up for the afternoon. 
      In summary, both sites were trendy and cute. I would go back to both, and even invite others to attend. The good thing about both sites is that because they’re farther from the city center, their prices are much lower. 

Places to Capture the Eye 

Following the article's recommendations, after eating at Merinas, I headed to the Sabrina Amrani Gallery. I had never heard of this artist, or their studio so I went in with no expectations. Upon entry, I was pleasantly greeted by the receptionist who gave me a brief overview of the gallery. The gallery was showcasing a textile exhibit done by the artist Josep Grau-Garriga. Unfortunately, the artist’s works did not have any descriptors next to it, in neither Spanish nor English, which left it up to the viewer to interpret and feel. The gallery was empty, and the artwork was grand and captivating. I can’t say that I completely understood his message, but I did find it enjoyable. 

Artwork

The next place wasn’t too far of a walk from the gallery. Veta is located inside two old industrial buildings. This art gallery, instead of hosting just one exhibit, hosted four, each one different from the last. The first exhibit, “Group Shoe 4”, showcases works from 63 different artists from America. The overall goal was to have the viewer see the pieces without a concept of time in mind.  

Entrance into Veta

The next exhibit “La Rave Dios” was created by Julio Galindo. It consists of a series of vibrant sculptures with religious and sacrilegious tones. The artist’s goal was to depict humanity during their last hours enjoying life’s pleasure, while also mixing Christian themes. Personally, I found it thought provoking and entertaining, but also slightly disturbing. 
       Both galleries helped me to see that Carabanchel has an artistic side that never crossed my mind. The good thing about both places is that they will always be showing different pieces and entry is free. 

Locations to Visit

Out of my own curiosity, I wanted to visit some places that were not mentioned in the article. First was a church, The Ermita de Santa Maria La Antigua. This was built in the 13th century and is the last of its kind as a Mudejar temple in Madrid. I wanted to visit this Church because of its age and the simplicity of its style. I marvel at buildings that have been standing for a long time and somehow still maintain their architectural integrity. 

Church

Many of the churches in Spain are extremely decorative, bold, and loud, so it was nice to see one that was simple.               Next up was La Colonia de la Prensa. Unfortunately, it lost a lot of its glory and beauty over time and has fallen into despair. But when it was first built between 1913 and 1916, it marked the entrance of a neighborhood that had an art-deco style and was home to writers and journalists. I often passed by this building on my commute to work and finally decided to take a closer look. 
       The last building, in my opinion, looks like a giant rainbow rubix cube. Located not too far from my school, is the Carabanchel 24 apartment building. This colorful, vibrant, and captivating building was built in the 2000’s by Rafael Canizares Torquemada. It doubles as both a piece of art and an apartment building.                                                                                                                      I ended my day in Carabanchel by visiting the last place mentioned in the article, El observatorio Musical. This is a musical workspace that invites musicians to come and play in one of their many rehearsal spaces. They also have a free to enter rooftop that offers a 360 view of the city.  

The Verdict 

After visiting some of the places mentioned in the article, I can say that I was able to see a different side of Carabanchel. A side that was trendy, hipster, and eclectic. However, I do not agree that it merits third place on the Timeout list. There are many other cities in Spain that aren't exactly mainstream but have more to offer. I am excited to see what this year’s list shows.

Here is the link to the article!

https://www.timeout.com/travel/coolest-neighbourhoods-in-the-world