TEACHER SPOTLIGHT: TI’ASIA MCGEORGE

Teach In Spain Volunteer Program

CIEE Teach Abroad

Meet Ti’Asia, one of our Teach in Spain Volunteer participants from our spring 2018 term.  Check out what she has to say about her experience as a Volunteer Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Castilla y León.

Why did you want to teach English in Spain?  What did you hope to learn, gain, and contribute?

I decided to volunteer in Spain because I needed a break from my career and in my personal life. I also wanted to step out of my comfort zone and felt this was a great opportunity to do so. My hope was to provide as much help as I could to the students while building long lasting relationships.

Tell us about your daily routine as an English teacher.

Each day was different but most days I would have two classes in the morning, each for an hour. Then, I would have a 2-hour break when I would sit in on other classes, learning with the students, or I would use that time to prepare lessons for my evening classes. I always ended the day with one more class during the last period.

Tell us about your host family experience.

My host family was amazing. They were beyond accommodating and really made me feel like I was apart of the family. They gave me the freedom to go and do as I pleased, but would also check in to make sure I was safe and having fun. They played a huge role in the positive experience I had.

What is the funniest thing a student said while you were teaching?

I had two equally funny moments. The five year old I lived with told me I smelled like chocolate and proceeded to sniff my hand/arm. Also, in one of my preschool classes, a three year old said (in Spanish), “My favorite color is pink but I know yours is brown,” as she proceeded to try and color my hand with a brown crayon.

What advice would you give to an incoming CIEE teacher in Spain?

The best advice I can give is to be open-minded. The experience is what you make it. It’s okay to have your likes and dislikes but you should act as a sponge and be willing to absorb as much of the culture as you can. Also, spend time with your family. They’re volunteers too.

What are you plans after your teaching commitment in Spain?

My job held my position for the last three months, so I’m back working on a political campaign; however, I’m missing Spain. I’m considering going back for an extended period but for now, I’m taking the time to catch up with my family and friends.