Parks to Visit Besides Retiro

Diamond W.

Beyond Retiro

Retiro

Retiro is a world famous park in the heart of Madrid. To visit the whole entire park is a full day activity in itself. With multiple entrances that can lead to a different facet of this beautiful gem of a social and natural oasis. It is understandable why it attracts so many visitors. It holds the title of being the second most visited park in the world, only falling behind Central Park in NYC. At Retiro, visitors can enjoy a boat ride, library, crystal palace, tennis courts, fountains, museums, and endless spots to sunbathe or have a picnic. With that being said, Madrid is not a small town. It has so much to offer, including other parks to visit. So, if you’re like me and want to explore where the locals go, or simply just want to visit something different, here are some parks to visit that are not Retiro. 

j

El Lago- Like the name implies, this park is wrapped around a huge lake. It is located towards the south of Madrid, and is less crowded than Retiro, but offers many of the same functions as Retiro. Visitors can paddle boat, eat at one of the restaurants on the lake's perimeter, or simply lay out to sunbathe. Like most places in Madrid, it is easy to get to. Metro lines five and ten will drop you off there. 

Rosaleda

Rosaleda del Parque del Oeste- Tucked right down below from Temple de Debod, is a beautiful rose garden. Sadly, visitors can only see the roses from May to September, and this park isn’t open all year around. However, it is worth a daytime stroll and your senses will be overwhelmed by the rainbow of colors and the sweet aromas. Bus 74 from Gran Via can take you there and from the bus stop it is less than a 10 minute walk. 

Finca

Jardines de los Palacios de la Finca Vista Alegre- The name tells you everything you need to know about this lovely park. Funnily enough, it is located near my school, and it only was out of pure curiosity that I stumbled across it one day. Because this park is located further outside the center, it is not as populated or crowded, which I love. Here, there is a palace, multiple ponds, benches, and trees to offer adequate shade from the Madrid sun. On days during the week, it can feel so deserted that it feels like you’re walking through your own little Eden. 

Parque de El Capricho- This park is on the outskirts of the center and is only open on the weekends. It also has a limit of 1000 people, and there are turnstiles at the entrance to keep track. When I visited, I only stayed for two hours because the scorching heat was too much for me to bear. That said, I only walked through a small part of the park. What I did see was a winding artificial river, a lake with an island with a reed-covered boathouse, a tiny Romanesque bridge that was closed to the public, an old fort, and the Exedra; an open space that has white, black, and tan sculptures that stand on an old fountain with a small temple in dedication to the grandmother of Duke Don Pedro. 

Mo

Museo Sorrolla- I saved the best for last, which may not be fair because in comparison to the ones mentioned above, it is minuscule. 

Sorolla

Yet, I think it should still be visited. Before entering the museum, there are three gardens that you must pass through. The three gardens are in the same area for the most part, but there are distinctions in their style and decoration. The first garden was inspired by the Alcazar in Seville. This is notable due to the Andalusian oranges used and the style of the marbles. The second garden also has influences from the Andalusian region, but this time from the city Granada. Here, there is a small road with a pond at the end that has a series of jet fountains squirting crystal water alongside its perimeter.

Painter

Finally, the third garden is where painters gather to master their craft under a whimsical pergola. Although I gave a lot of details about these gardens, please know that it is very tiny and it takes about one minute to walk through all of it.

Conclusion

In conclusion, there are many refreshing green places to retreat to in the concrete jungle that is Madrid, some that I didn’t even have time to mention. But of the ones that I mentioned, in each of these places, you will find something special. Just remember that there are spectacular parks beyond Retiro.