Orientation Process: My First Days with CIEE

Teach In Spain Volunteer Program

Kamryn K.

Starting a new chapter in Spain was exciting, and our CIEE orientation helped ease us into the adventure. Here’s a look at how our first two days went.

Day One: Arrival and First Impressions

I arrived in Madrid a bit early, so I took the chance to grab breakfast at the airport. We were instructed to meet Javier, our CIEE point of contact, at 10 AM for an 11 AM departure. To my surprise, there were only six of us in the program, which turned out to be a great thing. The small group made it easier to get to know each other. 

From Madrid, we took a two hour bus to Valladolid. It was a scenic ride that gave us our first taste of Spanish countryside.

Once in Valladolid, we kicked off with a walking tour of the city. It was a relaxed stroll, giving us a glimpse of the local vibe and landmarks. After that, we headed to dinner—a great chance to unwind, chat with fellow participants, and start forming connections.

Day Two: Getting the Scoop

Day two was all about diving into the essentials of the CIEE program. We had a session with the Spanish embassy and our Javier, our CIEE advisor, covering the program’s rules, Schengen Zone rules, insurance and what to expect while teaching at our schools. It was pretty straightforward and helped clear up any questions we had. It was a great way to clarify any doubts and prepare for the upcoming months.

Next up was a meet-and-greet with our school point of contact. It was a casual way to get familiar them and ask about our school environment we'd be joining. 

All in all, the orientation was a great intro to Spain and set us up nicely for what was to come. It was an easy-going way to start our journey and make the transition a bit smoother.