Melisandra in Madrid

Teach In Spain Program + 4 Weeks of Spanish Immersion

Melisandra P.

Hello reader! My name is Melisandra. I'm from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My great-grandfather was born in Bilbao, and I am 3rd generation Latina/ Hispanic. My Abuelitos are a big inspiration and support for this journey. I am a lifelong learner, but most recently I received my Master's Degree in Secondary English Education in 2023 from Temple University. Following graduation, i briefly worked as an English teacher in Philadelphia. It's always been a goal of mine to teach abroad. However, when I finished my undergrad degree from Rosemont College in 2020, that wasn't really an option. Now, I'm finally taking the plunge and have moved to Madrid to begin the immersion/ homestay program. In October, I will begin my work as a Language Auxilliar. My goals for this new journey are to learn Spanish and to further my new ESL teaching career. I am excited to experience new places (I plan on traveling around Spain and the surrounding countries), learn new words, and experience a new culture! However, I am a bit anxious, as I struggle with chronic pain, ADHD, and anxiety. Nevertheless, I am determined not to let my disadvantages prevent me from seeing the world, learning new things, and meeting awesome new people both inside and outside the classroom. Thanks for reading!

Melisandra