Introductions and New Beginnings

Teach in Thailand Program

Jarrett F.

My name is Jarrett Farmer, and I am from Austin, TX. I chose to teach in Thailand after graduating from Texas State University as my professor recommended taking a year off before considering grad school. Being a CIEE high school alum, I explored various programs they offered. Initially, I planned to go to Korea but eventually switched to the Thailand program.

I arrived on August 26th and attended the five-day orientation with OEG, the company organizing the program in Thailand. Despite our jetlag and nervousness, more than 100 of us quickly bonded during those days. We were placed across the country; however, only two of us ended up in the south – one of them being me.

After leaving orientation in Bangkok, I reached my school in Khok Kloi earlier this week. The following days have been some of the most challenging but rewarding of my life. The beautiful town, supportive teachers, and unique housing have made for an incredible experience.

My father always said that growth stems from discomfort, and these past few days have been highly uncomfortable. But eventually, I will adjust. Knowing that others are experiencing similar challenges in various locations provides immense comfort through shared group chats. Furthermore, understanding that I have control over my choices is empowering.

Although returning to Texas is always an option, I'm choosing to stay here for growth and new experiences. While support from family, friends, and other program participants would be helpful, I did not embark on this journey expecting ease or constant enjoyment. We are the masters of our own destinies, and there is comfort in that thought.

I will be here for the next eleven months – although it feels like a lifetime away – eagerly anticipating all that lies ahead. If you're reading this, I hope you're looking forward to it as well.