First Week Impressions (I don’t recall there being this many wiener dogs)

Anna G.

Stepping into my old neighborhood bar, I was welcomed with a stunned look from the waiter, Andrés, who I last saw in December of 2023. I started coming to Pinocchio’s when I was here during my study abroad program in college. It began as an assignment from my professor, who wanted us to return to the same restaurant every day in order to build a rapport with the staff and make connections with the city. At first, I thought this assignment was intimidating, time consuming, and a bit strange, but looking back on it, I appreciate being pushed outside my comfort zone. Pinocchio’s is one of the establishments that’s dear to me because the people who work there recognize me, even if a year goes by between visits. I smiled at Andrés’s reaction and asked if he still remembered my order.

Inside Pinocchio's

I’m overflowing with gratitude for the experiences I’ve had in prior visits to Madrid that have made this transition easy, as well as for those here who make this city feel like home. The more life I get to experience, the more emphasis there is on the importance of people. This past weekend, I was having a drink on a terrace near the Prado with two of my friends from Minnesota. The one from my hometown introduced me to some of her friends who live here, and we got to know each other over the course of the afternoon. That evening, I met even more of this friend group and was touched by how much they care for each other, as well as how welcoming they were to me. Later that night, I ended up going to an Argentinian club with a few of my new acquaintances, and we danced cumbia until the early hours. I’d never met these people before, but the kindness they showed me and the instant camaraderie we had will always stick with me. Each day that passes solidifies in my mind that this is where I’m meant to be right now.

A rainbow near Gran Vía

Important to-do’s

Of course, the first week was busy. My past visits to Madrid left me well prepared to complete the first three tasks (plus an apartment tour!) the day I landed, but in most cases it’s more reasonable to use the first day to acclimate. I’m not sure I have any novel advice, but in case anyone reading this is looking to travel to Madrid themselves, I thought I’d share what I believe to be the most important items to take care of upon arrival:

-Get a SIM card or eSIM from a carrier, I recommend Vodafone or Orange. I got a Vodafone international SIM card with 50GB of data for $20/month since I plan on traveling. Remember, your phone must be unlocked for this to work!

-Get a multi-pass metro card. Luckily I already had one from my previous visits, so all I needed to do was download the Madrid ‘Tarjeta Transporte’ app on my phone. I paid for one month of unlimited trips to all zones, which only cost $8 since I’m under 26 years old. If you’re 26 or older, monthly cost varies depending on what zones you’re traveling to.

-Open a bank account. I used Santander as CIEE recommends.

-Find an apartment! I got lucky and was able to find a room to rent on Idealista after only four days in Madrid. I live with another CIEE auxiliar de conversación and a student taking classes at a local university.

-Schedule TIE (tarjeta de identidad de extranjero) and Spanish background check appointments. All appointments were full when I first started looking, but I checked daily and was able to find open slots as time went on.

-Request an absentee ballot. CIEE gave us a helpful resource for this process, and I was able to get the ballot by email and send it back by mail. This process can differ by state, so make sure to check ahead of time!

Dealing with loss abroad

My family and I lost someone just days after my arrival to Madrid. A family member dying is never easy, whether it’s expected or not. Whether you’re alone in a different country, or at home surrounded by family. Since I’m not able to be there in person, I want to express my love to my family and anyone else reading this who has gone through a similar situation. Dealing with loss, whatever your situation may be, is a process that differs for everyone. I handle it by leaning on other people. I’m very lucky to have friends here as well as friends and family in the US to talk to. I think this emphasizes the importance of having a network of people who you care for and who care for you. My advice: feel grief in all its complexity and remember — both the love and loss that we are handed is what makes life special. What a privilege it has been to know you, Taylor. You and your family have been in the forefront of my mind.

Looking ahead

Since I accomplished many of my arrival tasks, I’ll be leaving Madrid for a few days to take a solo trip – my next post will detail 48 hours in a city on the coast (it's a surprise)! Next week, I’ll start teaching at a bilingual primary school and I cannot wait. Finally, to close, here's a photo of my pan con tomate.

Tomato toast and coffee!!

Thanks for reading and take care,

Anna