Discovering Cuéllar: The Charm of My Spanish Village

Teach In Spain Volunteer Program

Kamryn K.

The charm of this place lies in its simplicity and the genuine connections you make with the people around you.

Small Businesses and Friendly Faces

One of the highlights of Cuéllar was the abundance of small, family-owned businesses. As a bakery enthusiast, I was in heaven with the number of bakeries scattered throughout the village. Each shop had its own unique character, and it was easy to get to know the people who worked there. These mom-and-pop shops created a warm, welcoming atmosphere that made me feel right at home.

Scenic Walks and Community Life

Walking through Cuéllar was always a pleasure, despite the many hills. Reaching the top offered stunning views of the village and its surroundings. It was a refreshing change from the city life I’m used to in New York.

School life in Cuéllar was another striking difference. Kids here didn’t take school buses; instead, they walked to school with their families. It’s a small detail, but it really highlights the close-knit nature of the community.

Everyday Moments

Lunch gatherings in the plaza were a common sight, where people came together to enjoy meals and socialize. Living just a five-minute walk from a historic castle added a touch of magic to everyday life. Each morning, I woke up to the natural beauty of Cuéllar—a tranquility that’s often missing from the fast-paced life in the US.

Final Thoughts

Cuéllar is more than just a picturesque village; it’s a place where you can truly experience the charm of Spanish village life. From the local bakeries to the beautiful views and the strong sense of community, Cuéllar offered a refreshing and fulfilling experience.