Colorful Daegu!

Teach In South Korea Program

Jessica B.

Over the past several weeks, I have been exploring and getting to know the beautiful city of Daegu. The photos below are some of my favorite moments....so far!
So, without further ado, let me introduce you to the amazing city that I get to call home for the next 9 months! (Yeah, I've been here for 3 months already...WHAT?!)

Photo for blog post Colorful Daegu!

Here are some basic facts about the city of Daegu:

• Daegu is the fourth largest city in South Korea, and there are roughly 2.5 million people who live in the city.
  • Daegu is located in the south-eastern part of the Korean Peninsula. It is roughly 1.5 hours from the capital city of Seoul.
  • Daegu has earned the nickname "Daefrica," a combination of Daegu + Africa, as it is the hottest city in South Korea. Summer temperatures are consistently in the mid 90s and above, but the winters tend to be mild compared to northern cities like Seoul.
  • UNESCO has designated Daegu as a "city of creative music" thereby adding it to the UNESCO Creative Cities Network. It is the birthplace of Korean modern music, the first city in Korea to have opened a music hall, and the first city to have brought a piano into Korea in 1900.
  • Daegu is often considered to be the most conservative in its approach to values and life when compared to the other larger cities in South Korea

I have a basic understanding of the subway system, but the bus schedule still eludes me. Twice now I have a missed a bus transfer...which I find very frustrating. Not only that, but the bus drivers are all competing in some sort of death race against everything else on the road, so riding the bus can be a life or death adventure.

I choose life.

The city itself is SUPER clean. There is almost zero litter in the subway stations, on the streets, in the parks...it's like...like...everyone cares about their city?

Novel concept, I know.

The one exception is that bagged trash is left out on the sidewalks in front of both residences and businesses for pickup. But it never sits out there for long as the trash pickup is very reliable. Incidentally, I have yet to actually see the trash trucks. I have NO idea how, or when, the trash gets picked up in the city. Seeing a trash truck has become my white whale, of sorts. I keep my eyes out for one every time I walk around, but they are EXCEEDINGLY elusive.

There are a lot of "green spaces" around the city, and they are a relief to stumble upon as they offer a type of restorative effect after spending all day walking around in the stifling heat.

Photo for blog post Colorful Daegu!

I find myself wanting to take pictures of everything and nothing. The city is so different from what I'm used to that it feels impossible to fully capture it just in photographs, and yet I'm caught up in the challenge to do just that.

Deep down, I don't know how I feel about the urban scene. But, I have to admit, if there were a city that could sell me on the glamour of living the big city life, it would be Daegu. I don't know if it's the foreign factor or if it simply has something special that's all its own, but Daegu is pretty amazing.

Despite the fact that it gets hotter than the sun here in the summer....

Photo for blog post Colorful Daegu!

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or comments!