A Bittersweet Farewell

Diamond W.

It is bittersweet for this to be my last blog post; time certainly flies. I am very grateful to CIEE for giving me this opportunity to share my journey and to practice my writing skills. This platform has been a necessary outlet for my writing needs, but also a little keepsake. A place for me to look back on and remember the adventures that I had. So, what’s next? 

The Future 

I unfortunately was not able to find employment in Europe and I had no desire to be a teacher’s assistant again, so I am back in the USA. I am currently working as a nurse and figuring out my next steps. As someone who always has a plan, it is unfamiliar territory for me to not have a plan set up. After traveling extensively for the past two years, I plan to stay in one place for the next few months. However, I am eager to explore different cities in the USA. 

The Impact of Aux Life

Working as a teaching assistant taught me that I love to teach. As an assistant, it was a struggle not to take the lead so after this experience, I am looking to get my master's in education in the near future. Currently, there are some programs in the US that piqued my interest, but I don’t want to pay an exorbitant amount of money if I don’t have to. So, who knows, maybe I’ll head back to Europe for my master's degree. 

The Impact of European Living                                                                                                              

Adjusting back to American life has been harder than expected. Despite being born and raised here, I struggle to call the USA my home because my principles and priorities no longer align with the cultural norm. What is considered a good life here stereotypically consists of a big salary, big house, multiple cars, and all the latest gadgets. Meanwhile, in my experience, the European lifestyle finds contentment in the simple things of life such as enjoying lunch, taking a stroll, vacation time, safety, free healthcare, and family time. Not to be misunderstood, America has a lot to offer and is a decent place to live. However, I don’t see myself staying here long term. If I cannot find a way to make a living in Europe soon, I will have to settle on visiting frequently.  

In the End 

With that said, these past two years have taught me that moving to another city, country, and continent alone is a bit of a crazy idea. But with the support of CIEE, it made the move much easier to do. However, making friends, finding a home, developing a routine, and navigating a new transportation system were all growing pains, but necessary. You never know what you’re made of until you leave your comfort zone. I am so happy that I did, and it makes moving in the future, if need be, a little less daunting. What I hope to remember moving forward and what I think everyone should try to practice in their life, I have listed below.

1) Have at least one friend whose first language isn’t your own- Hopefully you will humbly learn how impressive it is that someone still wants to communicate with you despite the discomfort of speaking another language. Or simply recognize how remarkable it is for someone to maintain a conversation in their second language and your first.  

2) Have at least one friend who doesn't look like you- This can be in color, gender, religion, or ethnicity. Your mind becomes very limited and closed off when you only associate with people who look and think like you.  

3) Take yourself out on solo dates- You’d be amazed at how liberating it is to do things on your own. Company is an accessory, not a necessity. I say this because I often had to travel alone since company wasn’t always available. I am happy that I did, or I would have missed out on awesome and life changing experiences.

In my Flamenco era

Thanks CIEE and anyone who has followed my story for the past two years, it has been fun!