4 "Easter Egg" Locations in El Retiro

Jackson D.

Intro

El Retiro Park is one of Madrid’s greatest attractions for tourists and residents alike. Stretching 350 acres, this park is massive and full of interesting places to explore. Upon a simple Google search of the park, you will be introduced to the more commonly visited locations in the park like the Great Pond, the Crystal Palace, the Rose Garden, and the Argentina Promenade. While all of these locations are worth visiting, the park is home to a variety of other interesting locations that require a little more digging to find, but are well worth the effort. In this article, I’m going to shine a light on 4 of these “easter egg” locations, or lesser known places to visit in El Retiro Park!

The Bridge

The first stop along our journey is a mysterious wooden bridge, which I discovered on a walk through the park with a couple of friends. As you walk across the wooden bridge, you enter into an area with plein air artists painting next to a stream, curiously placed palm trees, and ducks hanging out in the sun. This location serves as a different route to the more traditionally walked areas of the park, and is definitely worth checking out. 

Google Maps Bridge
entrance

The Ruins

The next stop on our tour of lesser known locations in El Retiro is the ruins, which are located in the Northeast end of the park. Originally, these ruins were part of an old Romanesque church in Avila, Spain. In 1854, however, the church was badly damaged. It was then decided that a portion of the church would be moved to El Retiro so that it could be better preserved. Today, this small section of the church still remains as a nook in the park for those who wish to read, take photos of the spectacle, or simply pass the time there with friends.

the ruins
image

Artificial Mountain

The next “easter egg” location in El Retiro Park is the Artificial Mountain. Popularly known as “Mountain of the Cats”, this overlook was built by the architect Isidro González Velázquezas as a romantic folly for King Fernando VII in 1817. It rests upon a pointed dome made of brick masonry and is covered by earth and vegetation. By taking a short walk to the top of the overlook, you’ll have views of the rooftops of Madrid as well as the Casita del Pescador, a picturesque fishing house which is situated next to the mountain. Additionally, the mountain has a few waterfalls, with the largest one being guarded by two lion sculptures as shown in the photo below. Additionally, visitors can also enter the inside of the mountain. Originally used as a woodshed and locker room for park personnel, the inside of the mountain has since been converted into an exhibition space. In the summer, this space provides an excellent break from the heat as it is cool inside.

the ruins
image

Ahuehuete del Buen Retiro

The final unique location in El Retiro that I want to show you is Ahuehuete del Buen Retiro, the oldest tree in the city of Madrid! The tree is a Montezuma Cypress from Mexico, and it has been in the park for almost 400 years after having been planted in 1630. However, it is still a relatively young tree considering the fact that it can live for up to 2000 years. Standing at 25 meters tall, it is a site to behold. Ahuehuete del Buen Retiro is passed by many visitors everyday without even knowing its significance, so be sure to stop by and admire this lesser known gem during your time at the park.

the tree
Tree

*Supposedly, this tree was used to house an important piece of artillery by the French during the Napoleonic invasions.

Conclusion

El Retiro Park is filled with a variety of interesting locations to explore, but some are lesser known than others. For frequent visitors who are looking for something new to explore, or for newcomers who are looking to go on an adventure, I have identified 4 unique "easter egg" locations in El Retiro Park. From a personal standpoint, it was a good experience to seek out these locations because they required me to dig deeper into the park and make my own discoveries. In this light, searching for unique locations in El Retiro Park has given me a lens through which I can continue to explore the city of Madrid. 

SOURCES

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermita_de_San_Pelayo_y_San_Isidoro

https://www.lasexta.com/viajestic/curioso/montana-artificial-retiro-curiosa-historia-motivo-que-existe_202204216261005640d8080001a3015a.html

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahuehuete_del_Buen_Retiro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parque_del_Buen_Retiro,_Madrid