Why is Summer Abroad a Perfect Intro to Longer Study Abroad Programs?

Post written by CIEE Global Navigator alum Emma S. who has participated in three CIEE high school study abroad programs. In this post, Emma shares her experience going from one program to the next. 

My name is Emma S. I’m a fourth-year college student at Penn State double majoring in International Politics and Japanese.  

There aren’t enough words to express my appreciation for CIEE Global Navigator programs and how they have profoundly impacted my life, but I'll try my best at describing how summer abroad programs for high school students made me interested in longer study abroad programs and how they have been a stepping stone for my future. 

The First Time I Studied Abroad in High School 

My journey with CIEE began in 2018 when I applied for a high school summer abroad program. 

Although my first choice was Tokyo, Japan, where I have family, I was accepted into my second choice: Spanish Language & Culture in Seville, Spain. Before this, I had never heard of Seville and chose it only because I was learning elementary Spanish in high school. With limited Spanish skills, I was hesitant to accept the offer, but thank goodness I did.  

My summer in Seville turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life. I fell in love with the city in no time, made strong friendships, and I improved my Spanish faster than I ever imagined. When it was time to leave, I felt it was too soon. I knew I had to return. 

It was shocking how quickly Sevilla felt like a home away from home. 

high school study abroad excursion in Spain

The Second Time I Studied Abroad in High School 

In the summer of 2019, I got another chance to study abroad with CIEE, this time on another high school summer abroad program called Japanese Language & Culture in Tokyo, Japan.  

Although I had visited Japan many times before, this was my first time traveling without the sole purpose of seeing family. I took Japanese classes, explored the city with new friends, and formed a new kind of connection with Tokyo.  

Of course, like Spain, I knew that one day I had to return for an extended period. 

high school summer abroad in Tokyo

The Third Time I Studied Abroad in High School Was For a Longer Term 

Soon after returning to the U.S. from Japan, I was (unsurprisingly) off again in September of 2019 to Seville, Spain, but this time for high school abroad in Spain for an academic year.  

Thanks to a scholarship from my high school, I could choose any Spanish-speaking country to study abroad in for the year, and naturally, I again chose CIEE in Seville.  

I cannot express how much this extended study abroad experience changed me. The personal development was profound, and I am proud to now speak Spanish fluently because of the experience.  

My host family became my forever familia española, the friends I made are lifelong, and I grew to know Sevilla better than even my hometown. 

study abroad in Spain

High School Summer Abroad Has Shaped My Future 

The pictures and experiences I detail here showcase my incredible journey with CIEE: from my first high school summer abroad in Seville in 2018, my second high school summer abroad in Tokyo in 2019, to my high school academic year in Seville in 2019-2020.  

Like a domino effect, these experiences inspired me to double major in Japanese and International Politics with a concentration in International Relations.  

Now, I'm preparing for my next adventure—studying abroad in Nagoya, Japan, for 10 months in my final year as an undergraduate! 

Have Questions About Participating in Longer Study Abroad Programs? 

Now that you’re back home after your high school summer abroad, you might be thinking about a longer high school study abroad program of your own. 

As a seasoned CIEE alum, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about CIEE or want to talk about Seville, Spain or Tokyo, Japan programs! 

IG handle: @emmaszw