Visiting Japan's Most Popular Shrine

Japanese Language & Culture

ANNE LANGLEY

Students visited Meiji Jingu, a massive shrine located in the Harajuku shopping district, a mecca for Japanese youth culture and fashion.  This shrine is one of the most well-known in Japan, and by far the most visited- during the first three days of the New Year alone, over 3 million people annually pay their respects to it in order to wish for good fortune. Meiji Jingu was completed in 1920 and dedicated to Emperor Meiji, the first Emperor of modern Japan- and his wife Empress Shōken.

After arriving at Harajuku station, students stood near the entrance gate of the shrine and took turns reading aloud to the rest of the group about Harajuku and Meiji Jingu's history. Once inside the grounds, students purified their hands and mouths at the water- basin, practiced praying in the Shinto style (throw in a 5 yen coin, bow twice, clap your hands twice, put your palms together and pray, and take a final bow.), collected the shrine's stamp, and explored the shrine and surrounding forest. After exploring the shrine, students headed to Takeshita Dōri- a vibrant main street devoted to pop culture and lined with subculture fashion boutiques, street food, character and vintage goods, endless restaurants, and themed cafes. A final highlight of the day was taking group photos in the "Purikura" photo booths and editing them all together.