UVP: What makes each of us unique?

We spent the morning academic time working on our personal value propositions:  what makes each of us unique?  We then created or updated our Linkedin profiles.  It was challenging to write these summary statements, but it will pay off down the road - this group has so much potential!  We enjoyed connecting with each other and editing each other's statements.  It was a welcome break from the hard work in our groups for the final pitch presentations on Friday.  

This afternoon our guest speaker, Kazeem Lawal, shared his unique story and how his business grew out of his desire to leave the traditional mold of corporate life and embrace his creative side.  His business is an eclectic mix of what might be found in the country general store of days gone by.  

Students listened intently to Kazeem's personal story, then asked questions pertinent to how to finance a business, how he incorporates his ethnic heritage into his business, and how he manages personal time while running a busy store in downtown Portland.  

Students visited the store on Monday after the CIEE reception with the US Ambassador to Lithuania.  It was fun to see how Kazeem curates his collection of unique products in the store.

Portland Trading Co. is located at 157 Middle St, Portland, ME. For more information, visit www.PortlandTradingCo.com