Student Post: Tokyo's Humble Origins

Sarah Wong

こんにちは(Hello), 

My name is Olivia Mariano. I am a current student on the CIEE Tokyo study abroad in Class D. As a student on the program I have had the oppurunity to experience Tokyo, Japan. Today, I'm going to share about our experience at the famous Edo Tokyo Museum!

Taking a look back in history has never been so fun. With the help with the amazing staff of the Museum we were transported to the Edo Jidai with Tokugawa Ieyasu along with the busy carpenders of the street markets. Through the thoughtful tour around the extensively informative museum us students got a taste of what it was like in the past by carrying baskets of fish on our shoulders, heavy gold coin boxes, and twirling the firefighter’s encouragement pole.

After the tour, students were able to practice newly learned Japanese with fellow guests of the museum as well as staff concerning the time period or other question. Many of which made quick friends with elementary school kids on a field trip. This will be a historical experience that will be remembered in comparison to the new era of reiwa. 

This trip was a great introduction to  humble origins the major metropolitan megapower that is Tokyo!