Painting Class and Lotería

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

LeAnn Henderson

This week, we toured AMANC (Mexican Association of Help for Children with Cancer). We learned that the foundation’s mission is, “To accompany with dignity and humanity the children and adolescents with cancer and their families, in the early detection of cancer and holistic treatment and followup for their care and strengthening.” 

AMANC offers services including: housing, food, treatment support, transportation, schooling, human development, and love. The most important ingredient in AMANC’s “magical recipe” is love. The students expressed love for the children in AMANC by hosting a painting class for the kids and an exciting game of lotería which included parents. AMANC understands that caring for the families of the children is also important for holistic treatment. 

The CIEE students quickly started building relationships with the children of AMANC. They helped them with their paintings, played with Legos, jumped on trampolines, and provided a warm embrace for these adorable children. Other projects that we did around the AMANC center included: organizing and taking an inventory in the pharmacy, cleaning the playground equipment, and setting up for the event. It was amazing to see the difference that simple acts can make in the daily lives of everyone involved.