Nara Adventure

Japanese Language & Culture

Curtis Wright

Last Saturday, we went to Nara. After most students left their homestays, they took local trains and met at Kyoto station for our 9 am group departure. From Kyoto station, we took the Kintetsu Rapid Express and arrived in Nara about half an hour later. Some of our students have homestays in Nara, so they met us at Kintetsu Nara station. Once we all gathered, we split into smaller groups of about ten students each for our excursion. We walked to the admissions gate and were greeted by our tour guides, who are experts on Nara Park’s culture and history. Our tour guides started the tour outside of Toudaiji, where they explained the historical and cultural significance of Nara’s Toudaiji and the roof’s golden fish fin designs, believed to protect against fires due to superstitions at the time. We also saw a statue of Binzuru at the temple entrance, and our guides highlighted its historical importance and supposed supernatural abilities. Inside the temple, we saw the giant Buddha statue and other figures. Many of us tried to fit our bodies through a unique hole in a temple pillar, which is said to bring good luck. After leaving the temple, we explored other areas in Nara, including the deer park, a famous mochi restaurant, and other local attractions. Before leaving Nara, we greeted some local Japanese students and caught the express train back to Kyoto station. It was a wonderful day and a fantastic start to the weekend!