Martial Arts and Massages!

Today I started off the day with eating porridge, a salty egg, and radish. It is a typical Chinese breakfast that I have been having this past week. After we were full of porridge, my roommate and I got on our Mobikes (public bikes in China) and rode to school. Today in level 3 Chinese class we learned about 共享单车which are public sharing bikes that can be found all over the city! They are the same bikes that we rode to school with.

For lunch, I had my first taste of an American meal since being in China. The teachers and staff bought us Domino's Pizza. There was plain cheese pizza as well as a weird combination of egg, potato, and bacon toppings on another pizza. It was not my cup of tea but some of the other students seemed to enjoy it. While we ate our meal, the teachers reviewed everything we needed to know for our trip to Hangzhou this weekend. Everyone got to pick roommates for this overnight trip (or at least put down their preferences).

After our lunch, we headed over to the CIEE building on campus and learned martial arts from a certified instructor. He is ranked very highly and has won several awards for his work. The instructor demonstrated the different aspects of tai chi and showed us some basic moves. They were harder than they looked!

After our martial arts lesson, there was an optional massage that we got to go to. They massaged our shoulders, feet, and legs. People who went to Disney needed this especially because of all the walking that we did that day. The hot foot baths and free watermelon was a great way to relieve any stress that we've had (not that there's been much).

Written by Ellen Liu