Make the Friendship Bracelets

Maria Cronin

In Taylor Swift's new album "Midnights", she has a song, You're On Your Own, Kid, that reflects on a moment of independence in a young person's life. A pinnacle moment when one is finally on their own in the world. Many of our students are away from their families for the first time. Traveling to a new city, the first time out of the country, or even first time on a plane. As a Ciee Program Leader, and Taylor Swift fanatic, I was inspired by an idea created by Swift fans during her current tour: making and exchanging friendship bracelets from the lyrics of the song, "Your Own Your Own Kid". This time with a Spanish twist. 

In the song Swift sings:

"So make the friendship bracelets
Take the moment and taste it
You've got no reason to be afraid
You're on your own, kid
Yeah, you can face this
You're on your own, kid
You always have been".

I believe to some extent, each student feels some newfound sense of independence. It is my hope they relish in the moment and take in their new surroundings in Madrid. As some sort of symbol, I created unique bracelets for each student that have some relation to their experience in Madrid. Students got bracelets that say Madrid, Sol, Spain, and CIEE. Below are students showing off their new bracelets.