Let the adventures begin!

Climate Change Mitigation

Elise Carlson

The day had finally arrived to begin our adventure and make our way from all across the United States to Monteverde, Costa Rica. Some students were traveling and meeting in Miami, FL to continue the journey to Costa Rica. Other travelers were traveling solo. We all had the same mission: to catch flights and get to Costa Rica so we could begin our journey to study Climate Change Mitigation in one of the most beautiful places in the world, Monteverde, Costa Rica. This was a lofty mission considering travel can be challenging, as there are unexpected delays and cancellations that frequently occur with air travel.

I am pleased and proud to say that all participants remained flexible and positive while navigating flight changes, gate changes, and multiple chat groups. Other notable factors about the Climate Change Mitigation (CCM) participants is that everyone is open, approachable, friendly, and ready to be inclusive, learn, and have fun. An outsider looking in would think the kids have known one another for years. I am in awe of their initiative and bravery for taking part in such an awesome program at their age.  Our future is in good hands!

After leaving the airport, we headed to lunch. Lunch was delicious and flavorful, and the views from our restaurant were amazingly lush and green. It was very hot and humid in San Jose; however, there was a beautiful breeze blowing. Yes, it was definitely paradise! It coincided that our arrival date was Father's Day, and the DJ at the restaurant was having kids play games to win small gifts for their fathers. It was incredible how many of our students jumped right in, took part in the fun, laughed, continued building friendships, and even won presents for their dads.

The song "The Long and Winding Road" by the Beatles was going through my head as we journeyed from San Jose to Monteverde. It was a 3+ hour drive to cover 75 miles, which included a nice pit stop along the way. Many students enjoyed a Coca-Cola made with sugar cane, and they preferred it to the Coca-Cola in the States made with high fructose corn syrup. 

The cabins and bungalows are beautiful and accommodating, and the setting is phenomenal. We are nestled right in the middle of a rainforest. On our walk to breakfast, we saw monkeys in the treetops, a calf nursing, butterflies, and birds chirping and even 2 pileated woodpeckers!    This is just our first morning!  Just imagine all we will see in the next 3 weeks! 

In addition to learning how to mitigate climate change, practicing our Spanish in a real-world setting, making new friends, and having fun, we are going to learn to slow down and focus our senses in new ways and appreciate the natural beauty surrounding us. We are taking time to look up and notice the monkeys in the trees, watch the butterflies and hummingbirds and see where they land. We are leaving the electronics outside of the dining room and speaking and listening to others with common interests. This is Pura Vida!