Let the adventure begin!

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Doug LeBert

We had quite a journey traveling to Morocco with our delay; however, our group hit it off from the start! Everyone came together and broke the ice very quickly while we waited for the plane to start boarding. After enjoying card games in the airport, braving our long delay by taking airport walks together, and sharing lots of snacks, we finally embarked on our adventure. We arrived in Casablanca where we were greeted by CIEE Program Coordinators. Upon arrival in Mohammedia, we all had the opportunity to greet our gracious host families, and finally, some well deserved time for rest and our first dinner with our families!

Monday morning began with our orientation to get ourselves acclimated to our Mohammedia staff and to prepare ourselves for our upcoming weeks here! The icebreaker set the pace for the day with our group members belting out their favorite tunes, sharing their favorite photos from their Instagram, and sharing one thing they really hope to do while they are here in Morocco. After reviewing some serious business, i.e. safety and health guidelines, expectations, and daily schedules, we enjoyed our first Moroccan tea together and had an opportunity to tour our first service site, the American Language Center. Afterwards, we enjoyed our welcome lunch (with large portions!) and embarked on a walking tour of Mohammedia by local peers to get the lay of the land. Everyone was so excited to see Mohammedia with their very own eyes!

I think it’s safe to say we all need some rest after this week’s traveling and our busy first day! We are looking forward to sharing more of our adventure with you in the coming days…