Learning about German History

Global Entrepreneurship

Emily Griggs

This past weekend, students embarked on an epic day trip to Potsdam, the capital city of the German state of Brandenburg, to discover more about Germany's past. After enjoying a guided walking tour of the city, students ventured to the beautifully manicured gardens of the Sansoucci Park Complex where they explored the palaces and grounds. They enjoyed teaming up for a walking scavenger hunt, and were amazed by the beauty of the New Palace, Chinese Tea House, and Charlottehof Palace, not to mention the most notable Sansoucci Palace, built by Frederick the Great.

A birthday celebration Saturday night brought fun and laughter to all, followed by a fantastic Sunday afternoon outing to Mauerpark, one of Berlin's most famous flea markets. Students enjoyed navigating the stalls of vinyls, vintage clothing, crafts, and international snacks. 

On Monday, our group visited the German History Museum for a guided tour of the Roads Not Taken exhibition: Turning points in German History. The unique exhibition purposely navigates Germany's history in reverse. Beginning in 1989 and ending in 1848, students critically reviewed 14 turning points, allowing them to think retrospectively about the probabilities of unrealized history.

In class this week, project groups have focused on understanding the competition and identifying what will make their product or service stand out in the market. They have been busy refining proposed solutions, and understanding more about the role of creativity in problem-solving endeavors. Students were treated to a Q&A session with a successful entrepreneur who helped them hone their ideas. After another engaging German language lesson on Tuesday, students can now share in German about their likes/dislikes and hobbies!