First Week Reflections

Jennie Gold

Today, we’re hearing from some of the students in the program to get their thoughts on their first week in Korea. It’s been a jam-packed week with classes, cultural activities, and more walking than I think most of us have ever done before!

Meet this week's group of students: Ella, Omi, Oliver, Marcos, and Justis! Let's hear what they have to say about their first full week of experiences in Korea and in the Gaming & Esports program.

1. If you could use one word to describe your time in Korea so far, what would it be?

ELLA: Vibrant

OMI: Stimulating

OLIVER: Excellent

MARCOS: Informational

JUSTIS: Entertaining (or hot)

2. Tell me about one challenge you’ve faced so far and how you dealt with it.

ELLA: My roommate and I didn’t have good shampoo and conditioner. It took us almost 4 days to find some new shampoo and conditioner, but we found it eventually!

OMI: A challenge I’ve faced so far while in Korea is interacting with so many different people everyday and almost never being alone. I’ve dealt with it by finding moments to myself and scheduling time where I can be alone and present in my body.

OLIVER: Waking up and being ready on time. Alarms and roommates help!

MARCOS: Finding a computer mouse was challenging, but it was solved by a last second trip to Daiso.*

JUSTIS: Trying to fit in. I knew from the beginning that I probably wouldn’t have played the same games as anybody else (i.e. not too much in common), but it turns out that everyone’s cool and extremely friendly.

*Daiso is a popular Korean shop known for being a place where you can buy nearly anything you need (in Korean, the name of this store sounds similar to ‘da-isseo’, which roughly translates to “I have everything”).

3. Tell me about a fun or unique experience you’ve had.

ELLA: Going to all the photo booths has been really unique. My roommate and I went to about seven different photo places all on the same street, just looking at all of the frames and accessories.

OMI: A fun experience I had was definitely going to a noraebang (Korean karaoke room). It was fun choosing which songs to sing and trying to get a high score.

OLIVER: Archery was fun because it was a competition with the Gen.G students.

MARCOS: I’ve gotten to go to PC cafes with friends.

JUSTIS: Archery, and scoring a perfect 10-10-10.

4. What are you looking forward to in the next two weeks of the program?

ELLA: I’m looking forward to spending more time with my roommate and watching K-dramas in our free time.

OMI: In the next two weeks of the program, I’m looking forward to preparing for the Esports competition** and preparing to do the lights. I’m also excited to take our weekend trip outside of Seoul***.

OLIVER: Walking across the Lotte Tower SkyBridge.

MARCOS: I’m looking forward to watching a pro Esports game**.

JUSTIS: It’s been really fun so far, so just more of that!

**The students will be acting as staff members with a variety of roles to oversee an Esports Tournament, including responsibilities in overseeing lights, audio, commentary, and replay moments.

***Students will be taking an overnight trip to Gangneung this coming weekend where they will get to explore the area, including traditional Korean-style architecture and some of the Olympic facilities from the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

Each week of the program, we’ll be sharing some thoughts from a number of students in the Gaming & Esports Program, so if you didn’t see someone you know on this post, make sure you keep an eye out for future posts!

There are two weeks left in the Gaming & Esports Session 1 Program - we can't wait to see what's in store and to share some of the best moments and experiences with you!