Coconuts, Kubes and the Scientific Method

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Erica Edwards

STUDENT BLOG TAKEOVER!

Meet the authors

Abby and Nora, two students from the High School Global Navigator program in Ghana discuss new experiences, innovative discoveries, and an insatiable taste for kubes.

New Experiences

When Nora and I arrived in Ghana, we expected to encounter many new things: unique foods, timeless traditions, local languages - the list goes on and on. What we did not expect to encounter, however, was coconuts. Or should we say kubes.   

Our first kube experience came to pass on the third day of our trip as we were engaging in our routine bus shenanigans with our new found friends - laughing, talking, sleeping and enjoying the views. When suddenly, Master Eric (our beloved bus driver) came to an abrupt halt at the side of a busy road. We all looked around to see what had stopped our trek back to the hostel when Erica (our Program Leader) announced, “it’s coconut-o’clock!” 

Nora and I looked at each other confused but intrigued. We got off the bus to participate in the mysterious tradition, unsure what to expect  and unaware of the mystery that would unfold before our very eyes. We lined up before a wooden stand and a man with a machete and watched with curiosity as the Coconut Man expertly hacked and prepared them for us. We paid the sum of 7 cedi each (about 50 cents USD) and piled back on the bus where we would finally have the first taste of our locally grown kubes.

The First Taste

I tried mine first and was amazed at the smoothness and sweetness of it. I looked to Nora, “I’m in heaven!” I exclaimed. She then went to try hers, but her reaction was completely different. “Mine is kind of salty,” she said, wrinkling her nose. Dumbfounded, I reached for her coconut to take a sip and was shocked to find that she was right, hers was in fact much more pungent! 

The rest of our night was spent considering this dilemma. We wondered how the two coconuts could possibly taste so different, despite coming from the same stall and being grown in the same countryside. The next day, when Erica announced that it was once again “coconut-o’clock,” Nora and I knew what we had to do. We each paid 6 cedi this time (a bargain!) for two new coconuts and settled in the bus to investigate. This time, using the scientific method. We paid special attention to the size and shape of each of the coconuts, noting how mine was much larger than Nora’s. For this second taste test, we would compare our findings as to whether or not this effected the flavour.

Scientific Revalations

We then tasted the kubes and were flabbergasted to find that the larger coconut was indeed the more flavorful and saltier one. When we looked back at the pictures from the day before, we realized that Nora’s coconut had also been much bigger. Coincidence? We think not. When the next day we stopped for round three, this theory remained true and we knew we had made a discovery.  

So, the next time you're in Ghana and find a coconut stand, Nora and I will have you know that the larger coconuts tend to be saltier and more flavorful. In contrast, smaller ones are much smoother, lighter and perhaps more pleasant. Keep in mind that neither taste particularly unpleasant (in fact, I prefer the larger coconuts while Nora prefers the smaller ones). It's all a matter of personal taste.

Pro-Tip

If you want the ultimate coconut experience, the locals price and the coconut of your choice, ordering your kube in Twi (one of the main local languages here in in Accra) will do the trick:

Me pacho me to kube!

(Please, I’d like to buy a coconut!) 

Meet the Authors

Author: Abby Sidi

Attends: Bronx High School of Science

Lives in: New York City

Personal Goal: To immerse myself in an entirely foreign experience as well as expand my leadership skills

Dream Coconut: I prefer the larger, more ovular coconuts, as the coconut flavour is stronger a bit more salty than sweet.

Author: Nora Hogan

Attends: West Seattle High School

Lives in: West Seattle, Washington

Personal Goal: To expand my leadership abilities and explore a new culture.

Dream Coconut: I prefer the smaller, rounder coconuts, as I find the coconut water to be sweeter and more refreshing.

Editor: Erica Edwards

Teacher

Lives in: Canary Islands, Spain

Personal Goal: To inspire others to lives passionately, explore our beautiful world and find the beauty and joy in small things.

Dream Coconut: Any found on a roadside stand with a beautiful landscape in the background

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9N8A7NINp9/?img_index=3