Akwaaba! Arrival, Activities and Adventure

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Kaylee Haskell

The students arrived at JFK airport to depart to Ghana and after several ice breakers and rounds of name games, we finally departed in route towards Amsterdam. The journey was great as students slept and watched the latest movies during the flight. After a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam, filled with Starbucks coffee runs and resting in the internet lounges, we embarked on our final leg.  The students’ eyes filled with excitement as we finally arrived in Ghana. We passed through immigration, grabbed our bags, and got onto the bus to head towards the hostel. It was a long journey, but nothing a cool night shower, pizza, and great conversation can’t fix. Needless to say, the students arrived safely with excitement to start their service learning journey.

Photo for blog post Akwaaba! Arrival, Activities and Adventure

After settling into our rooms in the International Students Hostel, the students rose early to experience their first Ghanaian breakfast. They filled up on pineapple, watermelon, fried eggs and pancakes before heading to the study center to begin day one of orientation.

Orientation was led by one of our resident directors, Auntie Janet. We began our day breaking down cultural differences between Ghana and the U.S., along with learning how to identify the difference between stereotypes and cultural generalizations. After listening diligently during orientation, the students let loose with a few dance lessons. They were introduced to some contemporary Ghanaian music, known as the genre hip-life, and were able to flex their newfound moves.

CIEE on-site director Dr. Kwasi Gyasi-Gyamerah led an in-depth presentation on health, safety and security bright and early on our second day of orientation. Later, Auntie Abena discussed Ghanaian public transportation, preparing the students for potential trotro and taxi rides through the streets of Accra.  

The students concluded their second day of orientation with a leadership and team building activity called Rope Corral. Blindfolded, the students had to find their way out of an enclosed area, and after walking aimlessly within the boundaries, they began to realize that there may not actually be a way out. Although most of the students felt tricked, everyone enjoyed the activity and realized the importance of asking for help from their peers and program leaders.  

After two long days of orientation, the students are rested and ready for our first day of service learning!

Medaase (thank you)

Keyandra, Harriet and Kaylee