Reflections Post-Program: High School Abroad in Italy

High School Abroad in Italy

Ayana L.

These past nine months have simultaneously been the most incredible, life-changing, and difficult months of my life. I knew I was signing up for something extraordinary even before I came here, but my expectations were completely surpassed in the best way possible.

There was a certain element of adventure when I first left for Italy. It felt almost like sailing into the great unknown, as some say. I remember at the beginning of the program, when we had our four-day-group orientation in Bologna, how excited we all were about the prospect of spending months in a world that was, in many ways, new to us. In this post, I’m going to share what I personally learned in Italy. I cannot, of course, speak for anyone else who had the experience; each of us has a different story to tell.

I think one of the most profound things I learned while in Italy is gratitude, and this is something I will be talking about for a long time. I didn’t even realize, for so many years, how much I had taken my family, my home, and even my friends for granted. My life had become so routine that I would often struggle to find joy in the little things. That all changed while abroad. As much as I loved Italy, about a month in I began to realize something: I missed my home and my family, and a lot. I began to regret not spending as much time with my loved ones as I should have. I realized “distance brings fondness” was much truer than I ever expected it to be. I will always appreciate my family more from now on, and I have learned that every moment with your loved ones is invaluable. I also learned to appreciate the beauty of another culture and country along the way. Perspective really does change everything!

My worldview has also improved; living in a world utterly different from mine has given me, as I mentioned, a new perspective to work with. Growing up in one country and rarely seeing traditions and ways of living different from yours can often result in a degree of closed-mindedness. My parents, knowing this, raised my sisters and I to always appreciate and learn about differences like this, but really living in and experiencing those differences far from the familiarity of home is another thing. There were a lot of customs I wasn't used to; one example was that in Italy, every event that could potentially be social starts late, around 9-11 PM, and ends in the early hours of the morning. As a person who was used to events usually ending no later than 8 or 9 PM, this took some getting used to. But learning to adapt was what made the experience so much more beautiful. These differences shouldn't be judged; they should be learned from. 

Additionally, it was just very interesting to learn about Italian culture. They are very social and love partying and gatherings with family and friends, and are generally incredibly warm and welcoming as a result. And, of course, they take cuisine very seriously. Food is prepared with passion, and mealtimes are a time to speak and connect with each other. These are only examples; there are many other customs I experienced and learned about in Italy.

Language acquisition was a huge part of my stay. I came to Italy knowing only a few basic words and phrases in Italian. But one of the greatest things about learning a language (if your study abroad location is in a non-English speaking country) is that you pick it up incredibly fast, as long as you make even a bit of an effort to listen and communicate. Plus, your host family and friends will greatly respect and appreciate it if you make an effort to learn their language and culture, helping you create stronger interpersonal bonds while abroad. Remember, this is always important, even if they know English!

Another important takeaway from this trip was how much personal growth I have had, and I am sure other high school abroad alums would agree with me. I was honestly surprised; I thought I had mostly grown in the sense of appreciating other cultures, of being open-minded, etc. (and I certainly did!) But I have also experienced much more personal development than I had thought I would. I have mainly become much more independent, responsible, resilient, and flexible. I have learned to solve more problems on my own and my self-control and ability to manage my time have improved significantly. I would even go as far as to say I have become a completely different person in many aspects, in the best way possible. I still have much to learn, but now I feel much better prepared for life after high school. I have learned to be much more understanding and patient as well, with both people and life. Not everything goes the way we want, and so being patient and flexible and thinking before acting or speaking are qualities I have progressed in.

After nine months, at the end of my program, I can safely say that if I could suggest taking a year abroad to high school students, I without a doubt would. If you have the opportunity and feel ready, I would say go for it. I won't lie—it will be challenging. It may test your personal endurance during some times. But every moment of difficulty is worth it. Each challenge you overcome makes you stronger and is a learning opportunity. And you will have so much fun, too! You can make friends, explore incredible places, eat great food, attend sports games, find hidden nooks to study in, learn another language, visit sites rich with art and history, learn school subjects you never have before…it’s all up to you!