Seville Street Art

Kate M.

This week we had a very interesting tour about the graffiti in Seville. Usually I have a negative connotation with the word “graffiti”, but after this tour, I have a better appreciation for it. It takes a lot of skill to create artwork that looks good close-up, and also far away.

We learned that just like the rest art world, there are different types of graffiti artists. Some artists are realistic, others like to incorporate history into their work, some prefer to make their artwork cartoonish, a few protest against the government in their art, and then there are the ones who just like to fill up space.

The art on this wall has a little bit a Sevillian history in it. In the middle of each of the lamps is a famous building in Seville. From left to right: La Giralda, Torre del Oro, and Las Setas. The lamps signify the ones usually present during the Feria - a popular fiesta in Seville
This unicorn is really a part of a piece of art protesting against the Spanish government.
The only function of these bubble letters is to take up space. They do their job well.
Looks like hot dogs are the new "thing" in the graffiti world. Nikki seems to like the idea. :)

Fun Facts:

- The art on American music albums inspired graffiti art in Spain.

- Supposedly the best spray paint for graffiti is made in Barcelona, but I guess we’ll have to talk to a graffiti artist about that. :)

CIEE has their own graffiti wall, so we got to test out our art skills. There are some talented artists in this group…..

Henry adding the finishing touch..
Will made this awesome face, peeking out from the vines.
Alex made some great artwork :)

Messing around...