A Weekend in Shanghai—A Look Inside CIEE’s Weekend Retreat!

Teach In China Program

CIEE Teach Abroad

CIEE’s Weekend Retreat is one of the many benefits of the  Teach in China programs! A weekend where teachers meet in Shanghai and have the chance to make friends and meet local CIEE staff! The best part? Accommodation, transportation, meals, and activities are all provided! CIEE local staff hosted a Weekend Retreat in January. Let’s walk through the weekend:

Friday:

CIEE Teachers travel from across the country and meet at the hotel in Shanghai late in the evening. They settle in before activities officially begin on Saturday. 

A collage of a street with buildings and people

Description automatically generated

Saturday: 

The teacher has breakfast and are off on their first excursion: exploring The Bund. The Bund is a protected historical district that runs along the Huangpu River. For lunch, the CIEE China team arranged for lunch at, Yu Garden. A local restaurant and a perfect place for teachers to practice ordering food in Chinese. After lunch, they spend the rest of the day exploring Old Shanghai Quarter and Ancient Chinese Garden before going back to the hotel for dinner.

Sunday:

Teachers meet for breakfast then participate in a Panel Discussion. The discussion,titled Working & Living in China, includes preplanned questions for everyone to contribute to the discussion. Everyone returns to their hotel room to start packing before checking out of their hotel. They have lunch together and leave Shanghai by early afternoon. 

Since 1997, CIEE has sent thousands of participants to China! Let’s walk through CIEE’s Orientation over the years:

2006:

2007:

2014: 

2017: 

2024: 

A group of people posing for a picture

Description automatically generated