My Top 5 Favorite Experiences in Berlin

By: Aria Wozniak

Boulderklub

I decided to join a climbing gym with a few of my study-abroad friends when I got to Berlin. While it is a hobby I had back at home, it would be a great way to get more involved with locals and the Kreuzberg community. Climbing is such a social activity and I was able to talk to lots of different people during the weeks I went. I chose to do this instead of joining the gym that CIEE partners with. It saved me money and allowed me to stay active in a different way and experience a different Berlin scene. 

Christmas markets

Among my favorite places in Berlin were the Christmas markets. It was such a fun activity to do with friends after school or on our days off. Their festive atmosphere was a wonderful break to the cold and early sunsets. I found many of the presents I brought home for family and friends at the markets. The flea markets were also wonderful for shopping or just looking around. At both types of markets, there was an assortment of amazing food to try, which was possibly the best part.

Forest Grunewald

As someone who loves to be outside, Berlin was the perfect place to study abroad. The city is sprinkled with large parks that span for miles and miles, giving you the sense you’re in the forest. However, a short commute from the city area rests a few forests. My friend and I divided that once a week we’d got run or hike through a new area. My favorite was the Grunewald forest. It was beautiful and we ended up stumbling across a cute beirgarten and old tower that overlooked a river on one side and the city on the opposite side. 

Museum island

Museum Island is the most touristy part but also an area with so much information, history, art and activities. When my family visited, I took them to museums in the area as well as the Berlin Cathedral. The area is also near the TV tower and other attractions so it’s the perfect way to spend a day exploring. 

Clubbing

Last, but certainly not least, the clubbing scene is phenomenal. While it’s a much different change than the US, it’s a change for the better. The experience is set up where there’s less distraction from your phone which lets you fully enjoy and observe. The people and atmosphere is incredibly safe feeling and it’s a great way to meet new friends. It’s also a fun thing to do with friends – although it will be a late night (we would get back at 7-8 am a lot of the time) so plan out your schedule for the next day accordingly. Even if clubbing is not your thing, I highly recommend it. Immerse yourself in new experiences! Keep an open mind! You never know what will surprise you.