"Running as a lifestyle", Andrea Adam Moore, CIEE Center Director

Open Campus Block

CIEE Berlin

Andrea Adam Moore is the Director of the CIEE Center in Berlin. She is one of the real "berliners" of the team, but also very connected to USA, after living for 10 years in New York City. Andrea has been in this role since November 2022, but She knows CIEE since many years because Andrea used to work in some of the offices of our Center, as Director of the Indiana University Europe Gateway. In this interview, Andrea tells us more about her career and also about one of her greatest passions: running. 

•    Tell us a little bit about yourself, where are you from originally and what did you study? 
Sure! I am actually a “real Berliner(in)”. I was born in the Eastern part of our city, back when that part was mostly gray and still needed a lot of renovation and rebuilding. I studied Business Administration and Economics - mostly in Berlin but also spent an exciting semester abroad in Paris (where I still love to go for a long weekend from time to time). My interest in International Education started much earlier though, when I was 14 and first went to the U.K. on a high school study abroad program. I loved the experience so much that I went back two more times. Welcoming students at CIEE Berlin always brings back happy memories of those days!

•    How long have you been working at CIEE?
I have been working with CIEE since November 2022, but have engaged with many of the local staff and witnessed the activities long before. In my past job as the Director of the Indiana University Europe Gateway (Go Hoosiers 😉), I had the pleasure to work from an office on the CIEE Berlin campus. 

•    We know that you also had the opportunity to live outside your country and study, how was that experience?
Right, as mentioned before, I spent a semester at a Business School in Paris in the early 2000s. I loved experiencing the French culture, spending time with French and many international students. But I was also a bit surprised by the different academic culture – there were things I very much appreciated and others where I preferred things “at home”.
The same theme holds true for my 10-year-stint in New York City. I had the amazing opportunity to live and work in what I still think is one of the most exciting cities in the world. To this day, I am so glad that I grabbed that chance, even though it meant being far away from my family and friends, initially struggling to make ends meet financially and getting used to the constant noise and light in the Big Apple (and a few more annoying things… like cockroaches). While I saw and learnt so many amazing things in / about the United States, it also made me appreciate parts of my life and the culture in Germany more than I had before.

•    How would you compare Berlin and New York? What is the best thing about each city ?
Both cities are epicenters of culture and creativity in their countries. They are amazingly diverse in their population. I love the opportunities and options you have in both.  Life in Berlin is more “peaceful” – slower in pace, lower in volume, in height and so on. And it is SO MUCH more affordable! One of the things I love most about NYC is the combination of rich city life and the proximity of beautiful nature, with both the ocean and mountains just a short drive away. And while New York is not necessarily famous for its friendliness among Americans, I for my part certainly appreciated the open and welcoming nature of New Yorkers. 

•    Running is an important part of your life, how long have you been running?
I actually started running while studying in Paris at age 21. It was mostly a budgetary decision as I couldn’t afford joining a gym. Then, I rarely took a break from it and it has indeed become an integral part of my life. It gives me so much energy and time to think, breath and just be by and with myself. The idea to train for a marathon was the result of a party “dare”. Well, it worked! 

•    What has it been like to prepare for each race? 
Since I don’t run many different distance races anymore, most of them happen to be full marathons. So, training for them is very, very long. It is a multi-months commitment that requires several hours every single week. It keeps me focused on my health while being mother, wife, friend … and – yes, of course, CIEE Center Director. 

•    Which has been the most memorable race you have ever run?
That is a really tough question! Let me list my top three:
New York City Marathon 2006 – wow, what an amazing course! The crowds! (and I shaved off 30min of my Personal Best 😉)
Philadelphia Marathon 2011 – it will be my all-time fastest. So, I guess it will be memorable.
Berlin Marathon 2022 – coming back to running that distance after 6 years of involuntary break due to injuries.
I cried at the finish line of all 3….

What advice would you give to a student or colleague who wants to start running but doesn't know how to do it?
Start slowly and with reasonable distances and goals. Take breaks – during a run and especially in between running days. Don’t shoot for too much too soon (especially if you fall in the “colleague category” and are not 20 years old!). And also: not everyone has to become a runner. Maybe its not for you. If that’s the case, try something else.

•    How can running be a great way to meet people and places?
Oh, I traveled all over the United States to run different marathons. It’s a great way to combine hobbies. But running is also a great way to explore a city during a business trip that doesn’t offer much time for conventional sightseeing. For the people part of the question: I love to chat with other runners before (longer) and during (more briefly) races.