Berlin Brings an Unforgettable Experience to Studying Abroad

By: Aria Wozniak

After visiting friends at other study-abroad locations around Europe, I can say with certainty that I feel entirely happy and content with my decision to study in Berlin, Germany.  Berlin has a vibrant vibe and a rich history and culture. It is a city with endless activities to engage in, a beautiful arts and music scene, many outdoor areas, delicious food and an open-minded atmosphere. To say the least? I’ve fallen in love with the city. 

To start, Berlin is a relatively affordable city to live in, especially compared to other major European cities. This is due in part to the city's large size and diverse population. You can find affordable accommodation in a variety of neighborhoods, and there are also many student discounts available on food, transportation, museums and entertainment.

Aside from the food, the city is a cultural hub with a thriving arts and music scene. There are world-class museums, theaters, concert halls, countless small galleries, independent theaters, and underground music venues. My first weekend I went to a rock show in the Berlin-Friedrichshain area. During the months studying abroad, I also experienced a variety of clubs, an exciting experience like no other. I strongly recommend giving each entertainment activity a try.

I also found Berlin to be a diverse city, with people from all over the world. This made for a vibrant and exciting cultural scene and allowed me to meet people from all over Europe with different cultures and backgrounds. Berlin is a place where everyone is welcome no matter their sexuality, culture, ethnicity, fashion and more. It is a safe haven for all things funky and quirky. 

Finally, Berlin is located in the heart of Europe, making it an ideal base for exploring other European countries. You can easily travel to nearby cities such as Amsterdam, Warsaw, and Prague by train or bus. Flights in Europe are also much easier than ones in the United States. During the break between our block classes, I was able to travel affordably from Malta to Greece to Amsterdam. The travel I’ve had the privilege of embarking on has taught me so much about myself and instilled confidence in my navigation skills, connecting with people and independence. 

If you are looking for a unique and enriching study abroad experience, then Berlin is the perfect destination for you. It’s a city that offers opportunities you cannot find anywhere else.