Dear Black American Young Man,

Destin D.

Germany is a weird place. It is infinitely different from America. I can’t count how many aspects of America I wish were here. In particular, I miss jay walking. Being from New York, I tend to be impatient, particularly when crossing the street. I think that I’ll get used to it by the end of the trip, but only time will tell. The people are also a lot more quiet. In fact, we saw a fight between two people and we could not hear a word they said. It’s actually pretty funny. Compared to the States, everyone here is extremely meek. It’s also odd to just watch them watch us. People in Germany are particularly curious and enjoy looking at people that intrigue them. And not just looking, but staring too. I think that a big reason for the stares is the fact that there are 30 black people in one spot in a predominantly white country. I’ve been in a scenario where I’ve sat down next to while people and they decided to get up as soon as I sat down. It’s frustrating, because it’s not clear to me why they wouldn’t want to at least sit next to me. But still, Germany is fun and I’m having a good time.

With Love,

Destin Davis