From Study Abroad to the Peace Corps: One Alum’s Story

Meet our April Alum of the Month, Julia Shafer. Julia is a CIEE Seville LA alum who is currently in her second year of service with the Peace Corps. We asked Julia to tell us more about her transition from study abroad to living and working abroad through the Peace Corps. Here is her story:

Salama! My name is Julia Shafer. I graduated from the University of Virginia in 2012 with a degree in foreign affairs. While I loved studying in Charlottesville, one of my favorite semesters in college was when I studied abroad with CIEE in the liberal arts program in Seville, Spain. I studied abroad to emerge myself in a different culture and improve my Spanish. My time spent studying abroad really prepared me to join the Peace Corps. I learned how to adapt to a new language and culture through living with a host family and taking all of my classes in Spanish. I also learned how to live outside of my comfort zone away from family and friends. The skills I gained from studying abroad have really come in handy during my Peace Corps service.

I am currently a second year Education Volunteer in Madagascar with the Peace Corps. I live in a town about 60 miles south of the capital, Antananarivo, in the chilly highlands. I teach English to kids of all ages, from tiny primary school kids up through adults, at a private school and at the local English center. Outside of teaching English, I have been working on organizing a GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) camp to help empower young girls in my community to become leaders. The camp will be for one week in April in the capital. Some of the girls that will be attending the camp have never left our small town before so it is going to be an exciting week. Outside of teaching and the GLOW camp, life is very laid back in my town. I spend a lot of time talking with people at the market, helping my friend at her soup shop, and exploring the big red island. If you ever get a chance, put Madagascar on your must-visit list. Yes, there are plenty of lemurs, but there is also so much more to see.

My two years of service with the Peace Corps is quickly coming to an end (hard to believe). I will be leaving Madagascar in August of this year. While I am unsure what my immediate future holds when I return to the United States, I eventually would like to get a masters in school counseling to continue working with kids and help them better navigate their future. Then eventually I might work abroad again in an international school as a counselor.”

If you have questions about studying in Seville or joining the Peace Corps, feel free to connect with Julia on Facebook or Instagram @juleshafer.