Ruchira Gupta, Anti-Trafficking Activist, Speaks at Justice for Women Lecture Series 2015

As part of our annual Justice for Women Lecture Series, anti-trafficking activist Ruchira Gupta spoke at CIEE headquarters in Portland, Maine. An audience of more than 150 staff and community members attended the event, and CIEE alumni around the world tuned in to watch the event via our live stream.

Missed the live stream? Watch Ruchira's full talk here

Gupta has dedicated her life to fighting to end human trafficking in all its forms by highlighting the link between trafficking and prostitution laws, and lobbying policymakers to shift blame from victims to perpetrators.

From her early days as a journalist to the creation of the Emmy-award-winning documentary, “The Selling of Innocents,” she has embarked on a noble, and often dangerous, journey to give a voice to India’s women. In 2002, her dedication culminated in the founding of the grassroots organization Apne Aap Women Worldwide, which has helped nearly 15,000 women lift themselves out of the sex trade by providing a safe place to live and access to education. 

“Education and collaboration – these are the cornerstones of the work Apne Aap Worldwide does,” said Gupta. “Girls who become educated are becoming models for their communities, where prostitution has been practiced for centuries. We’re changing the whole ecosystem. I can see it happening before my eyes.”

This event was presented in partnership with the Justice for Women Lecture Series and Girl Rising. CIEE is honored to support the Justice for Women Lecture Series for a fourth year.

Learn  more about CIEE's partnerships with community organizations and initiatives, including Justice for Women, Diversity Abroad, the Institute of International Education, and Mobility International USA.