Meet the CIEE Alumni Summer Interns

CIEE Alumni

June marks the start of summertime in Portland – as well as the arrival of our 2015 Alumni Interns!

Now in its fourth year, the Alumni Summer Internship program brings a group of exceptional CIEE Study Abroad alumni, all of whom are rising seniors at U.S. colleges and universities, to our Portland global headquarters to work on challenging strategic projects across CIEE’s family of programs.  During their time in Portland, interns receive mentorship from CIEE staff, engage in a weekly personal and professional development seminar, and participate in fun outings in Maine. 

Get to know this year’s interns in their own words:

Jen McGeoch

Colby College // History, Government

CIEE Amman Language + Culture Program

"I chose to study abroad in Amman, Jordan with CIEE because I liked the program's focus on Arabic language skills. Jordan was an amazing place to get a taste of Middle Eastern culture, language, politics, and society, and I am so thankful that CIEE was there to help every step of the way!"

Ashley Narvaez

Skidmore College // Management, Business, Sociology

CIEE Barcelona Business + Culture Program

"My favorite trip with CIEE was when we went to Seville. I was immersed in the richness of Southern Spain with regards to Flamenco, tapas and beautiful architecture. I visited the Alcazar of Seville, Seville Cathedral and took a day trip to Cordoba."

Ashley Narvaez

Rebecca Steinberg

Miami University of Ohio // International Studies, French, and Business Management

CIEE Rennes Liberal Arts Program

"One of my favorite memories from my CIEE program in Rennes, France was teaching English once a week in a French middle school. I found that I loved teaching English to enthusiastic students through activities and games. Meeting French students served as an insightful way to get to know another part of French culture."

Molly Nesemann

University of Virginia // Public Policy

CIEE Brussels Business, Communications + Culture Program

"One of the Belgian interns for my program asked for volunteers to write superlatives for everyone in the program to present at our end-of-the-semester dinner. Three of us met up a few hours before and decorated 48 paper plates with ridiculous awards on them. The presentation really solidified our group and revealed the bonds we all created with one another throughout our experience abroad."

Molly Resized

Hannah Cain

Denison University // Educational Studies, Spanish 

CIEE Buenos Aires Spanish Language Program

"My favorite memory from my CIEE experience last year was cheering on Argentina throughout the World Cup. We watched the games on a big screen in Plaza San Martín with thousands of other Porteños and joined the celebrations around the Obelisco after the final game. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience!"

HannahCain_Cropped

Jonathan Fuller

Beloit College // Business Economics

CIEE Amsterdam Business + Culture Program

"I knew I wanted to study at a large university in a major European city with courses taught in English so that limited my options a bit. Ultimately the CIEE Business & Culture program in Amsterdam stood out as offering the best opportunity for me to have a meaningful and rewarding experience both academically and culturally."

Tatiana Tuccio

Gonzaga University // International Relations, Economics, Arabic

CIEE Amman Language + Culture Program, CIEE Hyderabad Arts + Sciences Program

"I chose to study abroad in Amman, Jordan because I wanted to work on my Arabic speaking skills. I also chose Jordan because I love Middle Eastern food."

Tatiana Tuccio

Noelle Nercessian

University of Oregon // Public Relations, Spanish

CIEE Seville Language + Culture Program 

"I am excited to learn about the structure of an international organization, such as CIEE. My fascinations lie heavily in international relations and communications, so to produce work for an international organization will teach me so much about the industry. There are so many crucial aspects to running a successful study abroad organization, and I can’t wait to see how it all works and integrate my skills to learn even more." 

Noelle_Cropped

Jack Turzillo

Carleton College  // Cinema, Media Studies

CIEE Prague Film Studies Program

"One of my favorite memories from my program in Prague is our trip to Pisek. We stayed in a small motel near a forest, and it was so invigorating to hear crickets and see stars at night for the first time in weeks. One day, we went on a scavenger hunt in the mountains and when we got to the top we all danced in a field with a gorgeous view of the Bohemian countryside. It was beautiful and exhilarating."

Jack_resized

Simdi Onwuteaka

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill // Global Studies

US-Korea Youth Network, Seoul

"One of my favorite memories while I was in South Korea for two weeks was our program’s excursion to the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea. We were told to be mindful of our manners and clothing and given an extensive lecture on the politics that led up to the establishment of this significant historical zone. This excursion was a great time for us fellow travelers to connect, engage critically, and reflect on a deeper level through a more controversial topic that went beyond the basic notions of what characterizes South Korean culture."

Mary Beth Brungardt

Loyola University New Orleans // International Business, Marketing

CIEE Seville Business + Society Program; CIEE Santiago Chile Liberal Arts Program

"I chose to study abroad with CIEE in different locations, as each place provided me with a culturally unique opportunity. Experiencing university life in both Europe and South America tremendously enriched my ability to draw lines and connect the similarities and differences among cultures."

Marybeth_cropped

Learn more about our alumni internship program here