August Alumni Update

CIEE Alumni

NEWS THIS MONTH

Let TEFL Take You Places & Win a $500 Airbnb Gift Card

Have you been thinking about going abroad again but don't know where to begin? Start by getting TEFL certified with CIEE - the first step to teaching English abroad. You can even travel as you complete your certification by taking part in CIEE Destination TEFL's teaching practicum options in Italy, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam. What more could you ask for? We know - a $500 Airbnb gift card so that you can travel in comfort and style! Enter now for your chance to win a $500 Airbnb gift card and a free 150-hour TEFL Certification Course so you can go abroad again, soon!

Reflecting on a Summer at CIEE as an Alumni Intern

A great group of interns joined CIEE this summer to work on strategic projects in Portland, Maine and Boston, Massachusetts through the Alumni Internship Program. They engaged in research, professional development, networking, and exploration of local culture while working on their strategic projects. Before they left, the interns reflected on their experience to share their main takeaways with you. Read all about it. 

The U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Lithuania Visits CIEE

CIEE’s Portland Global Entrepreneurship Program, in partnership with the Baltic-American Freedom Foundation, was in full swing this past month with students from Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania joining American students to learn about entrepreneurship in Portland, Maine. Participants are challenged with hands-on curriculum, a case study project with a local minor league baseball team, mentorship from local business owners, and a culminating “Shark Tank”-style business competition judged by a panel of Maine entrepreneurs.

This year the program also welcomed Ambassador Anne Hall, U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Lithuania, to CIEE’s headquarters to hear the students present on their program experience. Ambassador Hall shared her international experience with the students and answered their questions about global entrepreneurship and diplomacy. The participants were inspired by her words, as well as by the many innovative Maine entrepreneurs and business leaders who gave their advice and time to our passionate students. Learn more about the program.

Open Your Home, and Heart, to an Exchange Student

The CIEE High School USA team is looking for U.S.-based families to host international exchange students. Families of all shapes and sizes are invited to host – the primary requirement is kindness and willingness to learn about a foreign culture. Can’t host but know someone who might want to? Refer them to us and receive a $100 referral bonus for each family who ends up hosting a CIEE student. Students are placed in all 50 states, so don’t feel limited by your local network! Learn more.

UPCOMING EVENTS 

A NIGHT AT THE CHICAGO RIVERWALK

WHEN: Thursday, August 17 from 4:30 - 8:30 p.m.
WHERE: The Chicago Riverwalk (Between Wells St & Franklin St)

Join fellow CIEE alumni in the Chicago area for a night of culture along the Chicago Riverwalk. Unifest Chicago is putting on their last event of the summer so come check it out, meet other globally-minded people, and enjoy music, food, and drinks from around the world! Learn more and RSVP.

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Alumni Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alum of the Month for August is Thomas Austin Rose, who studied abroad with CIEE in Lisbon, Portugal in 2016. During an art history class, he befriended an Austrian creative with a bold idea to document the culinary wonders of their host city. The result? “Salt & Wonder” – a passionate print magazine exploring the culinary startup culture of Lisbon. They have proudly released their first issue and Thomas continues to serve as the editorial voice for the magazine while back in the United States. Thomas’ study abroad experience is an example of the unique, life-changing opportunities that studying abroad offers to intimately discover a new city, country, and culture. Read Salt & Wonder.

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Want to see your quote featured here next month? Click to tell us your thoughts on these topics:

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: CIEE Work & Travel USA alumnus receives the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship through IREX and will be studying Business Administration in the U.S. for the 2017-2018 academic year; the Alumni Summer Interns from Boston gather with Portland interns for a successful day of presenting their summer project findings; students enjoying pastries in France as our glimpse into the CIEE Global Navigator High School Summer Abroad program.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here