Alumni Update - October 2016

NEWS THIS MONTH

CIEE Civic Leadership Summit Participants Featured on Department of State Blog

Have you visited the U.S. Department of State "Route J-1" blog yet? Now is the time! The blog recently featured a spotlight on CIEE's Work & Travel USA program and the CIEE Civic Leadership Summit. Kate Verey, senior director for Work & Travel USA, contributed a great article about the Summit participants taking the 'Be a Changemaker Challenge' led by Ashoka's Youth Venture during a daylong workshop. The workshop challenged J-1 students to think about how they can create real social change and be leaders in their own communities. Read the feature on the Route J-1 blog.

CIEE People and Programs in the News

Dan Brody, vice president of business development at Tencent and CIEE Study Abroad alum, was featured on LinkedIn's Power Profiles series as Most Viewed Technology Professionals on LinkedIn in Hong Kong for 2016. Dan studied abroad through CIEE in Nanjing, China in 1994. He's worked for a variety of organizations, such as Google and Spotify, bringing his Mandarin skills and knowledge of the Asian market to use. 

You might have heard that the CIEE Passport Caravan is sweeping the nation. If you're not familiar with the initiative, the CIEE Passport Caravan is an event held at U.S. colleges and universities where free passports are given to students. CIEE has pledged to sponsor 10,000 new student passports by 2020 as part of the International Institute for Education's (IIE) "Generation Study Abroad" initiative, which aims to double the amount of U.S. students who study abroad by 2020. Read all about it on:

New Job Openings at CIEE around the World

We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team in Portland, Maine! If you have sales and management experience, take a look at the job opening for Manager, Enrollment – Short Term Programs. This position involves managing a team of short term program study abroad advisors to ensure their success in helping prospective students become program participants. 

CIEE is looking for the best and brightest in information technology to join our Boston-based application development team. If you’re passionate about cultural exchange as well as software design and development, apply to be our new Software Developer. CIEE’s Information Technology department is currently enhancing our legacy systems with an eye toward integrating them into our future platform, so now is a great time to bring your ideas, energy, and skills to the team. Recent grads welcome!

Do you want to work in China? Are you interested in giving students an excellent study abroad experience? Consider applying for the Student Services Manager position at the CIEE Study Center in Shanghai, China. Put your Mandarin skills to use while coordinating program activities, making housing arrangements, writing newsletters, and supporting students during their time abroad.

Apply for these jobs and more on the CIEE Careers page.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

Our Alum of the Month for October is Chris Grava, who studied abroad with CIEE in Cape Town, South Africa in 2012. We highlighted Chris on the CIEE Alumni blog in 2014 for co-founding the nonprofit organization Intsikelelo with his brother to help orphaned and vulnerable children in South Africa. The organization has been in operation for three years now and has impacted many lives by developing and supporting community-driven initiatives. We checked in with Chris again to learn more about the great new projects that Intsikelelo is working on. Read Chris's story on the blog to learn more about Intsikelelo.

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories:

"While applying for the program, I had my doubts about living with a host family, as I had never had any experience like it. What if I didn’t get along with them? What would happen if I couldn’t speak with them because of the language barrier? So many of these thoughts were running through my head and I considered staying in the dorm, but then I had a realization. I wasn’t moving halfway across the world to be in a familiar environment, I was going to put myself out there and try something new. Living with a host family was the answer." - Ria Jagasia, Meeting the Host Family.

More stories in Ria's series on study abroad in Japan: "Top 3 Foods for a Summer in Tokyo."

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: Throwback to the first day in the office last summer for our Boston-based interns; celebrating the first day of fall at CIEE's headquarters in Portland, Maine; and celebrating the United Nations International Day of Peace with a throwback photo of a study abroad student volunteering at a local Chinese school.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

Photo for blog post Alumni Update - October 2016

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here