Alumni Update - December 2015

NEWS THIS MONTH

New Global Internship Programs in 11 Locations

Following CIEE's merger with the Academic Internship Council (AIC), we're offering new Global Internship programs in 11 locations across Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America. These full-time, 8-week internships will be combined with an integrated academic seminar, where students will develop professional skills and gain intercultural work experience. CIEE's Global Internship programs are offered in spring, summer, and fall, beginning summer 2016. 

International Education Week: Education USA

Last month, we joined international education institutions around the world in celebration of International Education Week 2015. Assistant Secretary Evan Ryan hosted a webchat with Education USA to highlight resources and opportunities for international students to study at U.S. colleges and universities; watch the webchat archive or learn more about Education USA here

Our Job is to Listen: From CIEE to Peace Corps

Inspired by International Education Week, three CIEE Study Abroad alumni shared their stories about how their study abroad experiences led them to join the Peace Corps following graduation. Though Andrea, Stefanie, and Isabon first thought of pursuing posts with the Peace Corps at different points, it was during their study abroad semester together in Dakar, Senegal that the decision to apply was solidified. Read their stories in Our Job is to Listen: From CIEE to Peace Corps

Photo credit: Andrea Edman

DIVERSITY IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION

According to a 2014 report by the Institute of International Education, less than 10% of U.S. undergraduates study abroad. Of those students, only 7.6% are Hispanic, 7.3% are Asian, and 5.3% are African-American. CIEE is committed to increasing access to study abroad for U.S. minority groups: we've partnered with Generation Study Abroad, and at our annual conference last month, we launched the inaugural Study Abroad Leadership Workshop for Minority Serving Institutions

Want to learn more? Check out this recent article from online publication The Root about CIEE's initiatives to support and encourage college presidents that serve minorities to expand their study abroad programs. 

ALUM OF THE MONTH

Ekaterina Karabasheva, Internship USA, 2012

At the CIEE Conference in Berlin last month, Internship USA alum Ekaterina Karabasheva was a panelist at a pre-conference event focusing on international exchange and entrepreneurship. The event, which was co-sponsored by Cultural Vistas and the John F. Kennedy Atlantic Forum, featured four panelists who are all founders of tech startups and former participants of J-1 U.S. exchange programs. Read more about Ekaterina's career and her startup venture Jourvie, an app that supports people with eating disorders through the recovery process. 

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories: 

"Start up a conversation with your waiter; get to know the owners of the store; ask the chef about his/her favorite places in the city. Whether it's restaurant advice, where to get the best groceries, or their favorite hiking spot, interacting with locals is truly the best way to get to know a city quickly. 

- Dana Roberts, Being Vegan Abroad

"One thing that really stuck with us from Senegal was the phrase 'Jamm Rekk,' or 'Peace Only' in English. This is something that is uttered in almost every conversation as you pass your peace onto others and accept their peace in return. After Senegal, we realized we didn't want to stop searching for that peace." 

- Our Job is to Listen: From CIEE to Peace Corps

"The more I traveled through China, the more I was astonished by that its society is capable of. I was continually impressed by the consistency of Chinese culture and history in each city, yet every place I visited was completely different from the last. My interest in China will never end because there will always be something more to learn - which is why I love to travel in the first place. 

- Allison S., Teaching in China: Authentic Urban Life, Travel Galore, and Lifelong Friendships

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: CIEE High School Abroad students pose for a photo with U.S. Ambassador to France Jane D. Hartley; U.S. Ambassador to Germany John B. Emerson speaks at the CIEE annual conference in Berlin; U.S. Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy participates in a traditional Japanese sake barrel breaking with CIEE staff in Tokyo. 

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

Photo for blog post Alumni Update - December 2015

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here