Alumni Update - April 2017

CIEE Alumni

Photo for blog post Alumni Update - April 2017

NEWS THIS MONTH

New Blog Showcases CIEE Exchange Programs

There's a new blog on the CIEE website that highlights stories of current participants, alumni, and initiatives from a variety of CIEE exchange programs such as Work & Travel USA, Internship USA, and Professional Career Training USA. Visit the CIEE Exchange Programs blog to read all about it. Here are a few highlights from featured stories:

"I feel very lucky to be working in my field, clothing manufacturing and fashion industry management. People I meet at my work are remarkably inspiring. I see how hard they work and how much they sacrifice to succeed. This feeling and the environment pushes me every day to be a better person and never give up on my own dreams." from Expanding Horizons in New York City

"International experience enriches someone who has lived abroad, especially if you are in close contact with the locals and other foreigners. Tasting the culture, enjoying the adventure of something unknown. Then, leaving the place that has been your home for several months or years, you always leave and take something, so at the end your home is everywhere." from Love at Third Sight, Deep in the Heart of Texas

Bring the World to Your Home - Host an International Exchange Student

Every year, hundreds of international exchange students travel to the U.S. for CIEE's High School USA programs in search of academic and cultural exchange experiences. When you host an international exchange student, you do much more than provide a place for a student to eat and sleep. You make it possible for a young person who is curious about life in the U.S. to experience the opportunity of a lifetime. Host families come in all shapes and sizes - with or without kids, single parents, couples, retirees - almost anyone. All that is required is an open mind and an open heart. Learn more. 

Not interested in hosting, but know someone who would be great? Refer them to CIEE, and if they end up hosting a student, you receive $100!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Alumni Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alum of the Month for April is Kristin Aquilino. Kristin studied abroad with CIEE in Monteverde, Costa Rica to get outside her comfort zone, experience the incredible biodiversity of the environment, and grow as a scientist and person. The experience had a great impact on her education and career. She says, "My study abroad experience gave me a much more holistic appreciation of the earth and the way humans interact with it, which broadened my scope of interest when applying for graduate programs and pursuing future research questions." She now works in the UC Davis Bodega Marine Laboratory to save what she calls a "delicious and adorable" marine snail - the white abalone. Read her story.

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories: 

"Overall, the impact this program had on my life was huge. I can say I’m not the same person I was before going to the United States. Now, I’m more interested in joining groups where I can take action to help people." -Viviana González (CIEE Work & Travel USA, 2015)

"Through workshops and activities, I was pleased to discover many kind-hearted young people which galvanized me in continuing my work to make a difference in my country. Back in France, I am proud I did that experience as it made me grow as a person, and gave me professional experience that I already see is making a difference on the job market." -Safia Dworjack (CIEE Internship USA, 2016)

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: Children learn computer literacy at Lumen Labs in rural Kenya, an organization founded by CIEE Study Abroad alum Ruby Au; CIEE Work & Travel USA alumni reunite in Romania and reminisce about their time working at Yellowstone National Park together; we celebrate International Day of Happiness with a photo of two CIEE Work & Travel USA alumni who had fun working at an ice cream shop for the summer.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here