CIEE’s Effort to Close ‘Study Abroad Gap’ Gains National Attention

Communications

University Business” is the latest publication to cover CIEE’s efforts to increase access to study abroad by underrepresented groups, particularly students from minority-serving institutions (MSI).

In the article, CIEE Executive Vice President of Study Abroad Maritheresa Frain discusses how CIEE is rethinking the study abroad model to adapt to the challenges of cost, curriculum, and culture.

Also quoted are President Mildred Garcia of California State University, Fullerton and President Henry N. Tisdale of Claflin University, who participated in the inaugural CIEE Study Abroad Leadership Workshop for Minority-Serving Institutions this past November. Developed in collaboration with the Penn Center for Minority-Serving Institutions, the full-day leadership workshop was designed to prompt conversation around the importance of exposing students from MSIs to international education opportunities.

“We’re making sure these underrepresented students [in study abroad] know about the world and understand cultures different from their own,” said President Garcia.

Read the full “University Business” article here.

Check out additional coverage:

"Despite Paris, It’s Still Important to Study Abroad," Black Enterprise
"Widening Access to Study Abroad," University World News
"FAMU President Heads to Germany," Tallahassee Democrat
"Tisdale Promoting Global Initiatives during Berlin Visit," The Times and Democrat
"How Studying Abroad Changed Three Essence Staffers’ Lives," Essence
"Black Students Don’t Study Abroad, but a New Initiative Hopes to Change That," The Root