CIEE Frederick Douglass - Daniel O'Connell Internship Concludes with Celebration at Residence of US Deputy Chief of Mission in Dublin

Last week, the Frederick Douglass - Daniel O'Connell  Global Interns wrapped up their culturally immersive summer program in Ireland with a celebration at the residence of U.S. Deputy Chief of Mission in Dublin.

During their eight weeks in Ireland, the program participants interned with a host organization that aligned with their skills and career goals, attend lectures on Irish history and culture, and participated in extracurricular and networking activities in Dublin, Cork, and Belfast. 

At the closing ceremony, the Global Interns were recognized for their accomplishments by representatives from their internship host organizations, and program sponsors CIEE, African American Ireland Diaspora Network (AAIDN), and Ireland's Department of Foreign Affairs. The ceremony was a joyous close to the 2024 Frederick Douglass -Daniel O'Connell Global Internship program, which was designed to honor the legacy and impact of two iconic leaders in the global movement for freedom, equality, social justice, and economic mobility, by preparing students from diverse backgrounds for future and career success.

In his remarks, U.S. Deputy Chief of Mission Mike Clausen highlighted the close relationships between Ireland and the United States, and Frederick Douglass and Daniel O’Connell. He shared his hope that the Global Interns met "their Daniel O’Connell" while they were in Ireland, a lifelong friend whose influence they would carry with them for the rest of their lives.