CIEE: COUNCIL ON INTERNATIONAL EDUCATIONAL EXCHANGE NAMES MARITHERESA FRAIN EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF STUDY ABROAD

Communications

CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange today announced Maritheresa Frain, Ph.D., as its new executive vice president of study abroad.

Frain brings more than 20 years of experience in international education to her new position, including more than 15 years with CIEE. As executive vice president of study abroad, Frain will lead CIEE’s most comprehensive line of business, which includes 61 study centers in 43 countries around the world.

Maritheresa Frain - CIEE Executive VP Study Abroad

Frain will be responsible for all aspects of CIEE’s global network of study centers and academic programs, and support of 350 Academic Consortium member schools. 

Since November 2013, Frain has held the position of vice president of academic affairs, overseeing the academic quality for all of CIEE’s international study abroad programs in 63 cities, research projects in language acquisition and intercultural skill development, and CIEE’s Center for Teaching and Learning. During this time, she has led the newly formed Academic Affairs team to develop Global Learning Objectives that define what students gain by studying abroad with CIEE; designed pre- and post-study abroad testing based on ACTFL standards to analyze student experiences; developed an intercultural communication and leadership class that teaches students how to engage effectively in different cultures; and has worked closely with CIEE’s Academic Consortium Board to build a portfolio of study abroad programs that meet the needs of CIEE member institutions and their students, including by developing a robust offering of new short-term options.

“Maritheresa is an incredibly talented leader who will bring to CIEE’s consortium of colleges and universities the rare combination of two decades of international program operating experience, a deep knowledge of the academy,  and significant international experience in teaching and research,” stated James P. Pellow, Ed.D., president and chief executive officer of CIEE.

Previously, Frain served as center director of the CIEE Study Center in Seville, Spain, where she led a team of 23 study abroad professionals and introduced multiple study, international service, and research programs. She developed a portfolio of more than 500 homestay families, and established international gap year, teach abroad, and high school abroad programs. Prior to joining CIEE, she served as consular agent for the U.S. Department of State in Seville, worked for the International Monetary Fund in Washington D.C., and was a visiting professor at Georgetown University. She holds a doctorate and master’s degree in government and international relations from Georgetown University, and a bachelor’s degree in foreign service and international politics from Penn State University.