CIEE Academic Director for Architecture and Design Presents New Ideas for Urban Design at 2014 Aspen Ideas Festival

Communications

This summer, Maria Aiolova, LEED AP, CIEE academic director for architecture and design and co-founder of Terreform ONE, was invited to the prestigious 2014 Aspen Ideas Festival to present on “Post-Sustainability: New Directions in Ecological Urban Design.” With co-presenter and co-founder of Terreform ONE, Mitchell Joachim, Ph.D., Maria examined the socio-ecological possibilities for New York City and other urban environments around the world.

Held annually in Aspen, Colorado, by the Aspen Institute, the festival is the nation’s premier gathering place for leaders to discuss ideas and issues that shape our lives. This year the event celebrated its tenth anniversary with the theme “Imagining 2024.” Guest presenters – including former United States Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and actor Robert De Niro – and festival attendees explored questions that included: What will the next ten years bring? What form will climate change take? What dynamics will shape our societies at home and abroad?

Maria Aiolova and Mitchell Joachim, co-founders of Terreform ONE, present on their vision of global sustainability during the 2014 Aspen Ideas Festival, June 27 - July 3.

Maria also participated in two round-table discussions in which leaders generated ideas to global challenges, such as inspiring the next generation of innovators and mitigating the impact of extreme weather on the world’s poorest communities.

Discover how CIEE programs help students find solutions for the critical issues facing cities around the world here.